Status
Not open for further replies.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I’m happy with them. This morning they reached out to see how the Kuier’s are doing.
That’s fantastic!! It’s great to know there are still some online vendors who actually care about the fish they send out and rehome :)
Instead of how most are now where it’s if it arrives it doesn’t matter if it’s healthy or not.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s fantastic!! It’s great to know there are still some online vendors who actually care about the fish they send out and rehome :)
Instead of how most are now where it’s if it arrives it doesn’t matter if it’s healthy or not.
I think you will be see improvements over next few years. People are catching on. Not sure how it is by you but not in the USA fish seem to be healthier.

With any fish but more importantly wrasse and fragile wrasse the most important part to success is how the dealer conditions fish if fish is caught and straight to them and they hold it to get comfy and eating it builds it’s strength for the next part of its journey.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will be see improvements over next few years. People are catching on. Not sure how it is by you but not in the USA fish seem to be healthier.

With any fish but more importantly wrasse and fragile wrasse the most important part to success is how the dealer conditions fish if fish is caught and straight to them and they hold it to get comfy and eating it builds it’s strength for the next part of its journey.
Our fish aren’t bad but sometimes the more sensitive fish don’t get adjusted too well so I prefer to wait a week before bringing things like tilefish, sand wrasses ect… home.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up Kuiter’s this morning. Fish room was dark and I use dark colored buckets so barley saw a shadow. She got acclimated then scooped up by hand and let her swim away at will. Then I moved and she did a Houdini. Back to work I ago.
Just got home to she her glass surfing back corner. Didn’t get close because I want to leave her be. Left tank light off but she gets some light from other tanks.

I just want to see her and look her over but it will have to wait

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our fish aren’t bad but sometimes the more sensitive fish don’t get adjusted too well so I prefer to wait a week before bringing things like tilefish, sand wrasses ect… home.
Most of mine stay 10-14 days at my lfs. Some I’ll grab when they get the shipment. They fw dip re bag and I go. Saves me a ton of money that way too

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my local petco has had an exquisite, solon and at least 2 others in stock for the last few weeks...makes me sad everytime i go...may make it my crusade to save them
My local Petco recently renovated their aquatics section. They put in all new tanks and filtration and cut their saltwater section down to only 4 tanks. Their livestock looks much better now. Wonder if this will happen chain-wide?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my local petco has had an exquisite, solon and at least 2 others in stock for the last few weeks...makes me sad everytime i go...may make it my crusade to save them
I’d be cautious about the Solon (Again I can’t say much with my stocking) but the rest should be fine.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local Petco recently renovated their aquatics section. They put in all new tanks and filtration and cut their saltwater section down to only 4 tanks. Their livestock looks much better now. Wonder if this will happen chain-wide?
The ones local to me in TN look like crap. The ones near my house in SE Florida look wonderful.

Sadly, it is up to the store to maintain them, on limited budgets and staff. Not making excuses for them, as corporate could intervene in some way, but at the end of the day (currently) it is up to employees not making much to do the work.

nbooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

our store is definitely pretty low end, one an hour away is MUCH better. few young kids working that that actually seem to care for the tanks...but still see signs of disease on most visits. However, they do seem to be getting very frequent ORA shipments as I've seen the boxes.

and now im thinking a 45 day qt project on petco fish is a good idea lol

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones local to me in TN look like crap. The ones near my house in SE Florida look wonderful.

Sadly, it is up to the store to maintain them, on limited budgets and staff. Not making excuses for them, as corporate could intervene in some way, but at the end of the day (currently) it is up to employees not making much to do the work.
Totally agree. I worked in the aquatics section at Petsmart we kept everything looking amaze balls while I was there! But I loved doing it.

Another Petco close to me completely eliminated their saltwater section. Makes me wonder if Petco is in the process of downsizing their saltwater offerings in their retail stores?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree. I worked in the aquatics section at Petsmart we kept everything looking amaze balls while I was there! But I loved doing it.

Another Petco close to me completely eliminated their saltwater section. Makes me wonder if Petco is in the process of downsizing their saltwater offerings in their retail stores?
It would make sense if they do not sell anything. I know one in Nashville did, as they never sold anything. Their tanks were super clean and well cared for, but still never sold anything. Back in the day, I would have the manager order my things and would pick them up before it hit their tanks. Still had to QT and such, as most holding tanks at import facilities like they use are riddled with nasties.

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She loves her lrs and mysis. She also gives Vivien a run for her money in looks but potters agrees that Vivien edges her out slightly. Couldn’t be more happy thank you @SaltyT for letting me know about her
Four photo’s to make up for the quality
1C194537-ED9F-48C4-8A56-9A39C1030DDF.jpeg
5E380E79-C049-4FF3-B9FA-F59A16BA606D.jpeg
C74960D5-FD5E-4491-BD52-8F54545C5492.jpeg
A4272E11-D85F-4F8B-9C9A-CB61EAD69831.jpeg

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She loves her lrs and mysis. She also gives Vivien a run for her money in looks but potters agrees that Vivien edges her out slightly. Couldn’t be more happy thank you @SaltyT for letting me know about her
Four photo’s to make up for the quality
1C194537-ED9F-48C4-8A56-9A39C1030DDF.jpeg
5E380E79-C049-4FF3-B9FA-F59A16BA606D.jpeg
C74960D5-FD5E-4491-BD52-8F54545C5492.jpeg
A4272E11-D85F-4F8B-9C9A-CB61EAD69831.jpeg
She’s STUNNING!!!

Thanks for being my Kuiter’s BFF! lol

OP
OP
Crabby48

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad update. Sunday afternoon Kuiter’s wasn’t as active and went to bed early. Monday after work I found her dead. She wasn’t meant for leaving the sea. I only lost a couple wrasse out of a pretty long list last few years so I was bound to happen.
We are on the hunt for more because wrasse dorks don’t give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back