WTB External Macro Algae Reactor

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down to a few items for the new build. Really need a compact Macro algae reactor. Fuge space on the sump isnt going to cut it. the Tunze is over 300 bucks. Anyone got one around the same size they are looking to part with?

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had toyed with making one via the examples i'd seen online using LED light tape wrapped around a reactor, but ended up using the lack of sump space as an excuse to just replace the sump with something more refugium friendly. I've added sumps to 3 tanks and a 'fuge to wifes BioCube 32 and have been very surprised by the performance of Refugium with about 8 hours of night on-time.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had toyed with making one via the examples i'd seen online using LED light tape wrapped around a reactor, but ended up using the lack of sump space as an excuse to just replace the sump with something more refugium friendly. I've added sumps to 3 tanks and a 'fuge to wifes BioCube 32 and have been very surprised by the performance of Refugium with about 8 hours of night on-time.
I have that downstairs, and i grow macros like a boss. i just dont have the room in this stand, so Macro algae reactor it is. im just trying to not spend 350 on one.

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. In our corner tank in livingroom we transitioned from freshwater with a Canister filter so initially I was pondering still using the canister along with a separate Algae Reactor, but just ended up going with a small sump and only using it as a refugium in two sections with no skimmer... until maybe needed later.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Its a bowfront stand, so i picked the sump as large as i could go, but even then the fuge chamber is a gallon. If i go with a Algae reactor that goes up to like 5 gallons... plus less light bleed and mess under there, which means a happier wife.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back