WVNeds's Tanks

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gorgonian collection is pretty awesome!

What type of corals are you having issues with ?

Euphyllia mostly. I dont understand why a hammer does fine but duncans dont.

I just don't think they are doing well. They did great when the tank was new but have stopped growing. It's kinda that way with everything.
The purple gorgonians are doing well. The gold one keeps putting snot all over everything in the tank.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't done tests in months (Since we got ready to move, once we had bought this house) except to check PH and dKh occasionally.
This morning

so pretty close
PH 8
Nitrates 5
dKh 9
Ca 440
Phos 0.26
Mg 1400
Water changes are keeping it close to what I want. I havent been running kalkwasser in the ATO since we moved. That would probably fix the PH
I also have Reef Fusion 2 part.
Perhaps back to Nopox and dosing Phosphates.
These are API tests so all numbers are an educated guess.
I started a spreadsheet this morning.

I would like to get good enough at this to keep whatever I want. I still have my 30 gallon cube stored and I have an idea to keep a jawfish in it. Put a piece of glass in it diagonally and run a DSB on half of the bottom. Make it escape proof.

I have so much junk to get out of the way first.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin got a bath
He is 5 years old and only has 3 feet.
IMG_0211-L.jpg

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s the cutest!!! :D

Was he born that way?
he got an infection in one of his back feet on his big toe. We treated it. In the end the foot turned black and fell off leaving a clean pink stump. It had healed above the foot. That was a couple of years ago. He doesn't seem to miss it. One of the strangest things I have ever seen.

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he got an infection in one of his back feet on his big toe. We treated it. In the end the foot turned black and fell off leaving a clean pink stump. It had healed above the foot. That was a couple of years ago. He doesn't seem to miss it. One of the strangest things I have ever seen.

That’s crazy!! I guess it worked out though.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We were going to get him a bionic foot. Then we realized he would bend open the bars on his cage, knock down the back door and escape. They aren't cold tolerant and go into a false hibernation and die, So we didn't do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The chemistry experiment has begun. 6ml of NoPox , 23 ml of Reef Fusion part 2 and 2 ml of Aquavitro ActivateP (only adding this every other day)
IMG_0003%20a-XL.jpg

4 gorgonians might have been a mistake. One sheds, it goes on the next one. It sheds. By day 5 the stuff is back on the first one. More flow seems to be helping though
I put the gyres in OGC +70 -30 mode and the tank looks cleaner now.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will hide this here
I use API test kits. They are easy to use and tell me what I need to know. There is not a single parameter in a reef tank that doesn't have an acceptable range.
The color tells me if I am in that range. I don't need to know exact numbers.
Nitrate test, yellow is none, Pale orange is good, dark orange is oops and red is bad.
Years of practice probably doesn't hurt to make drops that are the same size.

Reef tanks aren't digital.
Neither are dogs
Neither is cooking
I do not need to know exactly how many grams or calories I feed my dogs every day and I haven't measured a teaspoonful of anything when I cook in many many years.

Whatever could this be?
2019032510475104-IMG_0867-X3.jpg

More to come

soon

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need the wire management fairy to come visit me.
Got the thing on the tank. I was going to hang it but it came with legs so I stuck them on
The 10K T-5 bulbs are very yellow? I may swap them out with royal blue. They sent extra bulbs with it so I have them. I will have to wrestle it off the tank though.
Doesn't even have on/off switches, just 5 cords. I put it on some digital timers.
716 watts. I need some sunscreen. It is overkill on the 75 but I think 2 will be perfect on the big tank. That is "in production".
I am in water way over my head. I used to swim really well and that never bothered me. Not so sure anymore.
I am very lucky getting to do something I always dreamed of.
2019032521453429-IMG_0871-XL.jpg

Back