Xenia and GSP melting.

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Today something weird happened in my tank, I had a frag of xenia in my sump that started with a tiny polyp and grew out several heads in no time, also have 3 or 4 frags/rocks with GSP that were thriving. Yesterday night all was ok. Today when I came back home the xenia in the sump is almost gone, and one of the GSP frags has no polyps and another has only half and they are not retracted they are gone purple flesh disappeared. My parameters as today:

Salinity 1.026 (refractometer) 36.4(Apex)
pH 7.99 (Apex) min 7.76
Alk 7.78 Trident 7.70 Hanna
Ca 499 Trident
Mg 1393 Trident
NO3 0 API (Nyos arriving tomorrow)
Po4 0 API, 0 Hanna
NH3 0 API

What's in tank:
Fish:
1 small yellow tang
2 clowns
2 yellowtail damsel
2 YWG
1 Yellow line cleaner.
Inverts:
2 Pepermint shrimp
1 tiger pistol
1 Fighting conch
2 Emeralds
Several Truchus, nassarius, cerit and turbo Mexican snails.

Corals
DT:
4 frags GSP
1 rock covered in mushroms
1 zoa frag
Sump
1 colony of Xenia - Gone...
2 Mushrooms.
Fern Caulerpa.

On a side note I had 2 cleaners but at the same time I found my xenia melted, found 1 of them dead inside the filter cup, it was his 3rd trip down the overflow in a week so I assume his dead is not related to the melt.

This tank has been running for 2 months but all the rock came from a biocube 32 that I upgraded and the rest of the rock was new live rock from LFS.
I have been reading 0 nitrates since this tank started, I know I need to bump them up but even throwing food by buckets doesn't bump them up, but everything was moving along OK caulerpa growing corals growing no issues at all.
Don't understand what may be going on, only thing yesterday tested parameter with Hanna and API, may have contaminated the water with reagents? Don't think so but... I know is impossible to know exactly what's going on but any ideas may help.

Have no pic of DT lights were ramping down when I arrived home and have no recent from sump
Sump Today:
20200626_233517.jpg

OP
OP
Difrano

Difrano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on what may have happened:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back