Xenia Vs. GSP

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a decent size colony of Xenia that was one of the firat corals in the tank, I also have some GPS that was the best species (i have 3) long polyps alway open full swaying in the current both have grown from very small frags now for a month or better the gsp has struggled didn't even peak out at all for over a week for the last 3 weeks or better it has barely opened.

Could this be a chemical warfare between the Xenia and GSP?

OP
OP
Mike Reef Addict

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grr app doesn't let me attach pics on OP ever why I haven't done mutiple build threads.
20180511_090417.jpg

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No takers ...
Lol, not really. Kind of at a loss.
Xenia are supposed to be able to be used as a nutrient transfer method in large amounts.
Never heard of them producing their own brand of toxic byproducts similar to the leathers.

Our GPS will sulk randomly for a few days, but not much more usually.

Lol, funny story. Turns out the GPS is one of the more sensitive corals in our tank.
First to sulk with high phosphate.

What are your parameters?

OP
OP
Mike Reef Addict

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, not really. Kind of at a loss.
Xenia are supposed to be able to be used as a nutrient transfer method in large amounts.
Never heard of them producing their own brand of toxic byproducts similar to the leathers.

Our GPS will sulk randomly for a few days, but not much more usually.

Lol, funny story. Turns out the GPS is one of the more sensitive corals in our tank.
First to sulk with high phosphate.

What are your parameters?
Pretty much perfect

Mag 1470
Cal 520
Alk 10
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate undetectable
Po4 undetectable
LPS SPS leatbers
Pink Briareium sp. Rockin
Softies etc all doing great

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much perfect

Mag 1470
Cal 520
Alk 10
Salinity 1.025
Nitrate undetectable
Po4 undetectable
LPS SPS leatbers
Pink Briareium sp. Rockin
Softies etc all doing great

Do you run carbon?

Your alk is at the high end and the nitrate and phosphate are at the low end.

From reading here from reefers much smarter than me, all three should ideally either be high or low.

Other than that I can't think of anything beyond general sulking for a few days.
Is it any happier now?
Do you have hermit crabs stomping on it?

Do you have dark asterina starfish?
I remove all of our asterinas (white and dark) for the past few years every time I see one. At 300+ now removed.
When I still find them in the tank, they are often near and on the GSP.

Kinda reaching at this point.

OP
OP
Mike Reef Addict

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run carbon for polishing but haven't ran any in a bit...

Randy says both calcium and my alk are fine because I use reef crystals anthing higher than 11 will cause precipitation and that dosing nitrates and phospates is BS imho we tell people to use RO/DI turf scrubbers cheato and gfo reactors etc to remove it...

Then dose it back...

That's just dumb if you ask me lol

They're unmeasurable with API kits if I was running Hanna there would be something I'm sure.

Bare bottome Berlin style reef auto topoff with dosing pump tsp per gallon of kalk a gallon Randys two part 30ml daily and mag once a week. Tank has been prettt stable for 6 out of the 8 months it has been running coraline in four colors bangin tube worms reproducing like crazy. 25 years with salt alone...

Only one colony out of 3 GSP 4 Briareium sp. total with the pinks zoes palys everything is great my caulaustrias Euphyllias Monti cap digitata even merulina and chalice favites are growing daily

The GSP has me stumped

But I am going to put my canister/UV sterilizer back on tomorrow and load it up with carbon and see if that makes a differnce i haven't ran any in maybe a month

Sent from my LGL51AL using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
Mike Reef Addict

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked at my logs for this tank, the last time I ran carbon was 22 days ago, after a 30% water change I had dosed Chemiclean an it was in the tank about 3 days too long I manage rental properties an had inspections so I forgot about/didn't have time for a water change... Had a small cyano bloom an it hasn't been back after the second longer dose, but that's when the GSP started acting funny I think you helped me figure it out inadvertently lol

PS this is a 55 gallon sumpless so tomorrow I'm going to add a lot of carbon and run my 146gph canister/UV Sterilizer see if that dose the trick.

Sent from my LGL51AL using REEF2REEF mobile app

OP
OP
Mike Reef Addict

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have asterina stars (white) hermits red scarlets blue legs sally lightfoot emerald crabs full healthy CUC brittle star etc the only thing that might get on itbis the occasional trochus snail. Lol I missed that.

I think the Chemiclean being in too long amd not running carbon long enough may be it! I'll keep you posted...

I think I may frag a small piece and toss it in my daughters pico just to see if it does better my frag tank is still cycling only been up 15 days now

RobertP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have GSP and xenia and no I don't think they fight. However, I do think xenia secrete something when you cut or yank them out. Pulled and cut a bunch out of my tank 2 months ago and my birdnests started losing skin but the GSP never blinked. My GSP has completely grown over one overflow and looks really pretty waving. Best part is it just stays there. Oh my moonlights can cause the gsp to be open all night and closed during the day, but normally only when it's a full moon.
The xenia grows on the other overflow but it breaks off and each tiny piece grows into a new one. Now its everywhere and I have to pull it up from places I don't want every 3 months. Wish I had never added xenia.

OP
OP
Mike Reef Addict

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have GSP and xenia and no I don't think they fight. However, I do think xenia secrete something when you cut or yank them out. Pulled and cut a bunch out of my tank 2 months ago and my birdnests started losing skin but the GSP never blinked. My GSP has completely grown over one overflow and looks really pretty waving. Best part is it just stays there. Oh my moonlights can cause the gsp to be open all night and closed during the day, but normally only when it's a full moon.
The xenia grows on the other overflow but it breaks off and each tiny piece grows into a new one. Now its everywhere and I have to pull it up from places I don't want every 3 months. Wish I had never added xenia.
Yeah Xenia does "ooze" when fragged I've never really had any problems controling either razor blade for GSP and 10lb test monofiliment for the Xenia an I have had frags for days I think it was me not doing a water change on the 25th hour ofba Chemiclean dose and not running carbon long enough after.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back