XF 350 falling from glass

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I buyed two Maxspect gyres XF 350 to set up in my 500 gallons tank with 15mm thick glass.
After mount them, I realized that que pumps can’t stand still in the glass, falling of after a few seconds of working, as seeing in this video:

Now I have 2 pumps that didn’t work as announced.
Doing some research I found that Maxspect sells reinforced magnets to be used in thicker glass (remembering that my glass is 15mm thick, the maximum recommended by Maxspect for use with the XF350 pumps)
What should I do?
Regards,
Alex.

Last edited:

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you purchase the pumps? You're going through the same situation I face as I live in the Dominican Republic. If you bought the pumps in USA you should be under warranty. Contact the seller and just talk as if you were in the USA and if they are willing to receive the pumps back just send via DHL/FEDEX. It will be more expensive, but won't be a waste of money at all.

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you purchase the pumps? You're going through the same situation I face as I live in the Dominican Republic. If you bought the pumps in USA you should be under warranty. Contact the seller and just talk as if you were in the USA and if they are willing to receive the pumps back just send via DHL/FEDEX. It will be more expensive, but won't be a waste of money at all.

I purchased them from China.
Coralvue didn't support products from Maxspect here in Brazil, because we have a a local distributor.
To return them, after pay a tax of 60% plus shipping, isn't an option.

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your support.

may we double confirm, did you peel off the protective films on both sides of the mounts before installing?
because with the films, it might be slippery and need to peel off.
Peel off the protection film.jpg

2) If the films were already removed, try doing this: with one hand holding each side of the the (one hand of the dry part and the other on the wet part), push them together against the glass as if they were suction cups.

The pattern on the silicon pads on both sides of the mount actually works like suction cups to a certain extend and would help to secure the pump.

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
may we double confirm, did you peel off the protective films on both sides of the mounts before installing?
because with the films, it might be slippery and need to peel off.

Yeah....the films were removed.
You can see in the video that after the pump fell off the dry side magnet remain atached to the glass.

2) If the films were already removed, try doing this: with one hand holding each side of the the (one hand of the dry part and the other on the wet part), push them together against the glass as if they were suction cups.

The pattern on the silicon pads on both sides of the mount actually works like suction cups to a certain extend and would help to secure the pump.

I already did this.
I pressed and rubbed the wet side against the glass, to remove that slime that grows insisde the panel glass.
There's no mounting problem.
There's a project problem.

NeverlosT

SPS nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the documentation that I read about the XF350 online, the pump should work with glass up to 0.75" thick, and your glass is only 0.6" thick, so that is no good if the system is not working. I would expect Maxspect to furnish the stronger magnet free of charge in this case.

From BRS:

Specifications:

Max-Flow - 5280 GPH

Max Glass Thickness - 3/4"

Max Power Consumption - 52 watts @ 24VDC

Controller to Pump Cable - 10ft

Controller to Power Supply - 5ft

Recommended for 80 up to 800+ gallon aquarium

I just ordered one for my frag tank with 0.75" thick acrylic, so I hope it works, if not I'll be talking with Maxspect...

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe in the documentation that I read about the XF350 online, the pump should work with glass up to 0.75" thick, and your glass is only 0.6" thick, so that is no good if the system is not working.

This is from Maxspect website:

1571185396332.png

Model NameXF330XF350
Power Consumption5-35W5-52W
Flow Rate9,000L/H (2,377 US Gal/H)20,000L/H (5,283 US Gal/H)
Suitable for Aquarium100-500L/26-132 US Gal300-3,000L/79-792 US Gal
Power Supply Unit100-240V/50-60Hz100-240V/50-60Hz
DimensionL265 x W65 x H34mm
L10.4 x W2.6 x H1.3inch
L325 x W75 x H38mm
L12.8 x W3x H1.5inch
Weight(Pump Unit)575g/20.3oz645g/22.8oz
Cable: pump to controller3m/9.8ft3m/9.8ft
Cable: PSU to controller1.5m/4.9ft1.5m/4.9ft
Glass thickness: standard15mm/0.59inchUp to 20mm/0.79inch *
Glass thickness: Reinforcement20mm/0.79inchUp to 25mm/0.98inch **
* Up to 15mm or 0.59inch when the two water outlet direction are angled perpendicular to each other.
** Up to 20mm or 0.79inch when the two water outlet direction are angled perpendicular to each other.

Yes......small fonts in the end of the page............;Meh;Meh;Meh

I would expect Maxspect to furnish the stronger magnet free of charge in this case.

I can only expect the same.

I just ordered one for my frag tank with 0.75" thick acrylic, so I hope it works, if not I'll be talking with Maxspect...

I'm sorry, but if you turn the cages and the water jet isn't perpendicular to the glass, they'll probably fall down.

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So I buyed two Maxspect gyres XF 350 to set up in my 500 gallons tank with 15mm thick glass.
After mount them, I realized that que pumps can’t stand still in the glass, falling of after a few seconds of working, as seeing in this video:

After that I get in touch with coralvue support and they told me that they can’t help me out because I’m from Brazil, and the responsibility relys on the local distributor.
I already opened another ticket in the Maxspect support section of the site, and the the answer of the local distributer was this:

"Good Morning!
Alex, we only manage the technical assistance of products bought in Brazil, I recommend contacting the store you bought to change or replace the part.
Att."

That’s not what customer Brazilian law says.
Even if the product is buy outside the country the local dealer/importer/distributor has the legal duty of offer support as you can see in the link:

IDEC - Instituto Brasileiro de Defesa do Consumidor

Now I have 2 pumps that didn’t work as announced and no support.
Doing some research I found that Maxspect sells reinforced magnets to be used in thicker glass (remembering that my glass is 15mm thick, the maximum recommended by Maxspect for use with the XF350 pumps)
What should I do?
Regards,
Alex.

I had bought 2 350s the minute they hit the stores, and I have to say. I'm not at all happy with them. I own every generation gyre at the moment, and am very disappointed in this pump. This pump needs to be cleaned constantly(monthly) or the power considerably dies down. Every week I have to hike it 10%

The motor housing is not secure enuff, it randomly just falls out during cleanings, The magnets do not hold on a red sea tank, they are incredibly weak compared to its other series. In about a month I'll be throwing in the towel and will be going back to the 280. My tank is 5/8 and it barely barely barely holds on. If I accidently hit the pump, the pump will fall.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought 2 350s the minute they hit the stores, and I have to say. I'm not at all happy with them. I own every generation gyre at the moment, and am very disappointed in this pump. This pump needs to be cleaned constantly(monthly) or the power considerably dies down. Every week I have to hike it 10%

The motor housing is not secure enuff, it randomly just falls out during cleanings, The magnets do not hold on a red sea tank, they are incredibly weak compared to its other series. In about a month I'll be throwing in the towel and will be going back to the 280. My tank is 5/8 and it barely barely barely holds on. If I accidently hit the pump, the pump will fall.

I’m having similar issues with the magnets on the 350s on my reefer 750. Granted the glass thickness is approaching maxspect a Stated limit. Never had issues with the 280s though. The pumps are moving all the time.

@csmaxspect any chance you plan to release a stronger magnet for thicker tanks? A wave maker this strong will always be on larger/thicker tanks.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Alex Costa I agree this should not be happening and hope you find resolution.

If more powerful magnets are not available to you, and you have no other choice, you can try this:

a) Make sure the "cages" that house the propellers are pointed so that the pressure they generate pushes directly back to the glass. Not to the sides.
b) Don't run the gyre in reverse mode or alternating mode
c) The propellers come in "A" and "B" patterns. Look closely at which ones you have installed to make sure that the given program you are running pressures the unit against the glass.

I have a love / hate relationship with my gyres for different reasons (cleaning) but positioned as described above they won't move or fall even if you remove the dryside magnet to clean the exterior glass.

I realize these instruction remove many of the features and flexibility these gyres are designed to achieve. You can try just doing "a" or just "b" or some other combination. I am just trying to give you options other than throwing them away.
Obrigado :)

OP
OP
Alex Costa

Alex Costa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The magnets do not hold on a red sea tank, they are incredibly weak compared to its other series.
I’m having similar issues with the magnets on the 350s on my reefer 750. Granted the glass thickness is approaching maxspect a Stated limit.

As I said before, this is a problem of the project.
The magnets are weak to hold the pump in glasses thicker than 1/2"...
But they keep the wrong info in their site. So, after buy the pump, you discover that you'll have to buy some extra magnets too....

a) Make sure the "cages" that house the propellers are pointed so that the pressure they generate pushes directly back to the glass. Not to the sides.

Yes......If the exit of cages are pointed directly to the front, the pump will hold still......but I don't want to run them that way, because I have corals in this way.

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having similar issues with the magnets on the 350s on my reefer 750. Granted the glass thickness is approaching maxspect a Stated limit. Never had issues with the 280s though. The pumps are moving all the time.

@csmaxspect any chance you plan to release a stronger magnet for thicker tanks? A wave maker this strong will always be on larger/thicker tanks.
Hi thanks for your support. We will think about what we can do. And may we know what country are you from? Are you from USA?

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the outcome of this thread ? Is maxspect releasing some stronger magnets ?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following, I've been waiting for BRS to get more 330 / controller packages in to buy a pair.

huckjai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect sells a "reinforcement" magnet that is basically the same magnet we already have. What you do is stick that magnet onto the pump and place it into the tank with the pump. Then use the other magnet on the dry side of the glass. The two magnets attracting each other makes it stronger. Kind of lame as it makes your pump stick out further into your tank. Looks funny to me.

kodo28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah Just saw it ,

Looks more like a bad workaround from Maxspect concerning the weakness of their magnets conception :confused:

1578319329397.png

1578319342042.png

csmaxspect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah Just saw it ,

Looks more like a bad workaround from Maxspect concerning the weakness of their magnets conception :confused:

1578319329397.png

1578319342042.png
Hi thanks for helping in the explanation. This methods could strengthen the magnet force. And because there is buoyancy in water, and also the pump's material is only a little heavier than water, so as long as there's some magnet force(of course a little bigger is better) holding the pump , it will not easily fall.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back