XM 20k

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with XM 400 watt 20ks? I have to replace all of the bulbs in the 1,500 over the next two months and I am thinking about switching from radium to XM. I have always used radiums but It would be sweet to save some money-I understand the phos. burns up a lot faster in these bulbs but the tank only has lps and softies. Any input would be great on color and overall look.

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the 20ks by XM on a 400watt ballast. Nice crisp color, and more par than a 15k.
You'll like it if you like your radium, a little less blue but cool. Thats if youre running a mag 400 ballast.
I have heard mixed results from e ballasts.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think the xm's run well on hqi though, which is what i assume you are running with the radiums?

143gadgets

Mr. Meticulous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using 250w 20Ks and I love the color(SPS and Zoas)

CHR_1802web.jpg

CHR_1780web.jpg

Edit: I use electronic ballasts(Icecaps)

BudweiserSelect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run xm20ks on a pfo hqi ballast and love the results. twon8 why wouldn't they run well on hqis? i use to run xm20ks on hamilton ballasts and the color was a lot more blue. i think the hqis overdrive the bulb and the result is a brighter whiterblue. hehe does that make sense? :D
Angel

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fact that HQI ballasts overdrive the SE bulbs is an understatement. lol

magnetic ballasts overdrive SE bulbs pretty well. I run a 250w HQI ballast on a radium bulb, and i beleive i read somewhere that it runs closer to 330w. severely depleting the life of the radium bulb.

budweiser.......how long does your XM20k last until you need to change the bulb?

i also heard XM20k's dont run well on HQI's (heard this over on the sps forum on RC).

Raptor

Angel Of Death
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend runs the xm's on a hqi and loves them, Not as blue as the radiums, but alot cheaper if youre going to scrap em every 4-5 mos

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, if i go back to school and feel the financial pinch on me again, then i'll obviously have to switch to XM20k's run on my 250w HQI ballast, b/c its the cheapest yet most effective bulb out there.

so i'm plenty interested in this topic. anyone have any pics comparing a radium and XM20k on HQI ballast? (if you can even tell based on a lousy picture)

BudweiserSelect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
surfn i really can't say how long they last yet. i ran my xms on the hamilton ballast for over a year then i switched to radiums for 7 months when i got the hqi ballast, after that i ran aquaconnects 14k for about 8 months. And now i am back on the xms and they've been running for the past 5-6months :D
Angel

OP
OP
TyreeUM

TyreeUM

the other Tyree...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks so much for the all the help. I think i am going to run the 20k xms and throw my hamilton mags back on. They are cheap and I think will be fine. Thanks you guys-I will post some pics of the 1,500 with the XMS next week once I have them burned in and looking nice.

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why? because they are tailored to be run on magnetics and the magnetics run them best, both brighter and more power.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/feb2004/feature2.htm
from sanjay's page
XM 400W 20000K

Along with the XM 10000K lamp, Hellolights.com also introduced a new lamp labeled as 20000K. As expected this lamp has a large spectral peak at 454nm (Figure 2) and as shown in Table 3 this lamp performs best with a M59 ballast. When used with the PFO-HQI ballast, the performance was slightly lower.

xm bulbs were designed to be run on magnetics, and while hqi generally do run bulbs brighter, it is not an absolute. `

BudweiserSelect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow so i guess i am under driving the bulb . does that mean it will have a longer life on an hqi ballast?

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow so i guess i am under driving the bulb . does that mean it will have a longer life on an hqi ballast?

I would think it may, but the life of a bulb is a personal decision/ they don't burn out, we just think they have been used to excess

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 41 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 30 19.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back