XP Aqua Duetto ATO - Failsafe Ideas?

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, this is my first forum post!
I just just purchased the XP Aqua Duetto ATO for my 90 gallon reef, waiting for it to come in the mail. I’ve spent a lot of time researching the best system and like many, was torn between this one and the Tunze osmillator. I decided to go with the XP Aqua due to its compact size and it being a little cheaper.

My question is whether anyone has any good suggestions for adding more redundancy to the unit in case it fails. I’m not a big fan of DIY that requires stripping wires or drilling - in other words I’m looking for the best option that I can purchase which will provide protection such as shutting the unit off if my water level increases to a certain level.

What are you all doing for failsafes in your ATO? Anybody just putting all their faith into the optical sensors and think that further redundancy is unnecessary?

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only easy trick I know is to undersize your ATO reservoir so that when fully emptied into your tank, wont cause a catastrophic failure.

Also, they sell things like this that can cut the power to your ato unit by placing another redundant sensor slightly above the max fill line of your sump :)

OP
OP
S

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only easy trick I know is to undersize your ATO reservoir so that when fully emptied into your tank, wont cause a catastrophic failure.

Also, they sell things like this that can cut the power to your ato unit by placing another redundant sensor slightly above the max fill line of your sump :)

Thanks, yea I’m planning on using a 2 gallon bucket as my reservoir, since I’ve already been using it to manually top off my sump using a pump . My problem is that I’m trying to prepare for a 4-5 day vacation in a couple months, so I’m trying to automate everything as much as possible. A 2 gallon bucket will barely get me through 3 days of top off lol, so ideally I want to get a bigger reservoir and add on more redundancy so I can leave the tank unsupervised for 5 days or so. Not to mention I feel like having to refill a small reservoir every day defeats the purpose of installing an ATO in the first place.

I like the sensor you posted, I was just hoping that there was a cheaper option because if I buy that, well I’m basically beating myself up for not just spending the extra $80 for the tunze osmillator lol. That sensor is basically what I am looking for though.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its good youre getting it now cause all you can do is run your 4 to 5 vacation day scenario a few times with the ATO after it arrives.

For what its worth i own the same ATO and its been running flawlessly for over a year. Even without cleaning of the optical sensor :)

Ive left home for 9 days before with it :)

Another trick is to place a tight fitting glass lid onto the tank during your vacation.
This should double your depletion time....
Its what i always do.

OP
OP
S

smoleral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well its good youre getting it now cause all you can do is run your 4 to 5 vacation day scenario a few times with the ATO after it arrives.

For what its worth i own the same ATO and its been running flawlessly for over a year. Even without cleaning of the optical sensor :)

Ive left home for 9 days before with it :)

Another trick is to place a tight fitting glass lid onto the tank during your vacation.
This should double your depletion time....
Its what i always do.
That’s definitely reassuring, good to know you haven’t had any issues. I’ll be installing it tomorrow in my sump and might post a review after a little time with it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use this to turn off power to the ato. just set its sensor above the ato's sensor.

Great minds think alike! Lol.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back