XR15 and XR30 gen 6 combo question

KeepAFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am new to the forum and recently came back into the hobby.

I have a 6' (L) x 18" (D) x 23" (H) rimmed tank with two crossbars. I currently have 3 x Ocean Revive T247 lights that I don't like because of a disco effect. When I was in the hobby before, we had T8's and Halides, but I am happy to see LEDs have come a long way in price and performance.

I am considering buying the Radion XR15 Pro lights to replace the Ocean Revive T247s. However, my wife wants a mixed tank with soft, leathers, LPS, and SPS corals. From what I have read, these lights are known for an even spread, which would put any high PAR areas in between the lights (instead of directly below them). From what I can find, the intersecting areas would reach about 300 PAR and the areas below the lights would be closer to 200 PAR at the top of the tank if I have them spaced 24 inches apart. If I put an XR30 in the middle, I believe it would bump the numbers at and in between the intersecting points (roughly between the two crossbars of the tank) to about 400-450 (best guess). In theory, this would allow for plenty of SPS corals in the middle of the tank, on rock structures about 6" below the water surface, with room for the lower-demand corals to be spaced out in the lower areas.

I don't have any experience with the Radion lights and could use any help/advice I can get. I am leaning toward the Pros over the Blues only because I want to be able to use the extra white lights to make it more enjoyable watching the fish (at the tradeoff of 20% PAR output). I am considering these options:
1. XR15 x 3
2. XR15, XR30, XR15
3. XR30, XR15, XR30

Would I get similar PAR outputs to what I am expecting?
If I mix XR15s and XR30s will the tank look unbalanced or will it look natural?
Which configuration would work best?
Any other recommendations?

aquascape.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out my build thread - I have roughly the same size tank and run a pair of XR15 G5 and XR30 G5 Blues. I run diffusers so my settings are roughly equivalent to the G6 versions without diffusers. I previously ran a pair of XR30s and a single XR15 but wanted a bit more "punch" and added the second XR15.

Send me a PM and I'll share my PAR levels.

OP
OP
KeepAFish

KeepAFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response and sharing your Build Thread!

Your tank looks great and I look forward to learning how to get there. I noticed in the pictures that it doesn’t look ultra blue like it does when I look at other pictures of tanks running Blues. Do you have the Radions in a photo mode or edit in post? I am still leaning towards the Pros, but can’t help to be hesitant because everyone seems to love the Blues.

Thank you

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Since the front-back dimension is only 18", I would go with the XR15's.
Start with 4 of them. See how the par and look is. If you want more shimmer, add in a few kessil lights. If you want more blanket par, add in more XR15s.

Back