Y'all want to do a "Themed" tank contest?

Would you participate in a "themed" tank contest? Theme is your choice!

• Yes for sure!

Votes: 87 18.8%
  • Yes if the prize is good enough.

Votes: 115 24.8%
  • No.

Votes: 262 56.5%

• Total voters

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extra points if you build your tank from scratch as well. Size limit 10 gallons. AND most importantly $300 budget for everything including first fish and coral. Then judge. Someone who has 10K worth of corals will always win.
I think if a budget limit is put in place it should only be for livestock and decorations, not equipment. Why should I not be able to use an old MP40 and Reefbreeders light I have in the attic and instead have to buy something new but lower quality to avoid a price limit?

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if a budget limit is put in place it should only be for livestock and decorations, not equipment. Why should I not be able to use an old MP40 and Reefbreeders light I have in the attic and instead have to buy something new but lower quality to avoid a price limit?

Because I want to argue. :D Just kidding.

That's fine, but, one of the problems this and every forum has is showing favoritism to those who spend a ton of money on things.

It's like NASCAR. You have to stick to certain parameters to race. Should be the same with this.

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree on the budget limit on livestock, equipment is not necessarily fair as I agree with others.

I'm hoping to use an old tank I used as a coral QT, Innovative Marine 14 gallon. I already have lights, filtration, pump, and heather. I would not be too keen on having to acquire all again at budget prices.

and for personal reasons can we set the limit at 15 gallons, not 10? I would like to participate ;)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with a size limit of 10 gallons. I think 9 to 12 months is fair. Budget is tough because like many I have a bunch of equipment already, but should be limited.

I would say 9 to 12 months is a good time frame as well.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Y’all are going to make this too serious!! Lol!

Maybe we will do two categories. A nano and any other size.

No limits on what you can add etc. We will take a before a mid and after photo.

We will let the members choose the top 10 from each category and then we will pit the 20 against each other in the final voting.

The idea is not how much coral you have or can grow. The goal of these tanks are how creative you can be using your “props” for your theme and mix coral and fish with it.

Still thinking all this through but I’m talking very simple rules and the prizes will be amazing like a WaterBox set up or something.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and 3 months max! This isn’t a coral growing comp. This is about creativity!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and 3 months max! This isn’t a coral growing comp. This is about creativity!

OK, this makes more sense now. I think this will be a fun, quick contest. I already have a theme in mind and can start on it tonight.

Thanks for clearing some stuff up Rev!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before I get serious about thinking about doing this, will the prize be available in Canada or will it be US only?

Any theme or specific theme?

That's a good question. I have been helping folks from Canada with stuff and the constant theme is "We get no love here in Canada" Either from suppliers or contests.

Rosie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I've got too many different things in my Nano to try and squeeze it into a theme, but I could definitely dedicate a corner of the tank to a theme [emoji23]

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I changed the first post to reflect any size theme tank.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Feel free to change your votes! :p

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a sweet-16 of finalist tanks might be a fun twist, either for a contest ending next march or just for the heck of it

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree on the budget limit on livestock, equipment is not necessarily fair as I agree with others.

I'm hoping to use an old tank I used as a coral QT, Innovative Marine 14 gallon. I already have lights, filtration, pump, and heather. I would not be too keen on having to acquire all again at budget prices.

and for personal reasons can we set the limit at 15 gallons, not 10? I would like to participate ;)

I think when you set the limit to a certain (small) size the equipment budget differential goes down. Like in a 20 gallon it’s the person with one jabao vs one MP-10, where with any size tanks it’s suddenly 2 gyres and a bunch of ecotech gear vs some poor hamster on a running wheel driving the return pump...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think when you set the limit to a certain (small) size the equipment budget differential goes down. Like in a 20 gallon it’s the person with one jabao vs one MP-10, where with any size tanks it’s suddenly 2 gyres and a bunch of ecotech gear vs some poor hamster on a running wheel driving the return pump...
In my opinion a system with Jabao's will grow coral just as well as a system with Vortech's. The only thing I would do if I had to use a large size powerhead is to remove them prior to taking my photo shoot for submission. But, I'd probably do this even if I used an MP-10 just to give it the cleanest look possible.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a "coral themed " tank... and its driving me insane :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

On a serious note.... often thought what a Dead Acro Skeleton tank would look like only using the structure of dead acros.

If I ever lose all my corals in one stupid swoop..... I'm probably going dead acro skeletons and let purple coraline take over and do Fish Only

Last edited:

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion a system with Jabao's will grow coral just as well as a system with Vortech's.

Hahaha you are almost certainly right, especially over the short term and assuming use of some basic modes. But (I think?) this just reinforces the notion that differences in equipment budget are minimized in smaller tanks, ie the little jabao vs the vortec mp-10.

NinnJinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Due to my girls I already have a theme tank going. But I highly doubt a 125 gallon is classified as a nano. LOL

"Ohhhhh who lives in a pineapple under the sea?" Lol

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back