yasha goby and japanese snapping shrimp question

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so it turns out my tank needs more live stock so i decided to finally get a yasha goby and after a while of looking i saw that people where saying they could pair with one of these which i ordered and now after reading a lot there’s a lot of it might kill the fish and it might not so any help would be really appreciated right now or would it just be best to add the goby and sell the shrimp and buy a candy cane pistol and before anyone asks i did look to see if they were even compatible at all before ordering i’m just scared my new goby will end up dead

96BAE0B6-2FE1-4D40-95D5-C23B742BA881.jpeg

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell you if it'll pair 100%, but what I can tell you is you have the right species and have a high percentage of pairing. You'll know pretty quick. They should pair once they meet each other. The shrimp will crawl under the goby and "flutter". If the shrimp tries to climb under him and the goby runs away, he'll keep trying. Japanese snapping shrimps seem to be a little picky about who they shack up with, but a yasha should be good.

I'm also going to add that japanese snapping shrimp are one of the harder to pair, and often do reject having a goby roomate. He probably won't kill the goby, but he might just do his own thing. If you want a sure thing, find a tiger pistol shrimp/candy cane pistol shrimp.

Apollo7235

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a watchman goby that tried relentlessly to pair with a bullseye pistol I have, despite the fact that she had already paired with a Tiger pistol. The bullseye would shoot at her constantly in the beginning, but he finally seemed to accept her after a week or two. For a while she would switch back and forth between the two, but unfortunately. I found her one day with a giant scrape on the top of her head. The origin of the injury is definitely up for debate, but it ultimately killed her. Was it the Bullseye? Who could know.

My point is, nature is weird, fish are strange, and sometimes the ‘standard’ just doesn’t apply. According to nature, bullseyes don’t pair with gobies. Well, mine did, at least for a short time.

It could be that you have a unique pair where the goby is protected by the shrimp instead of vice versa. Good luck!

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ok so it turns out my tank needs more live stock so i decided to finally get a yasha goby and after a while of looking i saw that people where saying they could pair with one of these which i ordered and now after reading a lot there’s a lot of it might kill the fish and it might not so any help would be really appreciated right now or would it just be best to add the goby and sell the shrimp and buy a candy cane pistol and before anyone asks i did look to see if they were even compatible at all before ordering i’m just scared my new goby will end up dead

96BAE0B6-2FE1-4D40-95D5-C23B742BA881.jpeg
there are blind pistol shrimps, and ones which are not, the blind shrimp need help, so they pair up, the ones that can see; like the japanese red pistol shrimp, dont need a mate to guide them... you will even notice a much different behavior between blind shrimp and once who can see.

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot tell you if it'll pair 100%, but what I can tell you is you have the right species and have a high percentage of pairing. You'll know pretty quick. They should pair once they meet each other. The shrimp will crawl under the goby and "flutter". If the shrimp tries to climb under him and the goby runs away, he'll keep trying. Japanese snapping shrimps seem to be a little picky about who they shack up with, but a yasha should be good.

I'm also going to add that japanese snapping shrimp are one of the harder to pair, and often do reject having a goby roomate. He probably won't kill the goby, but he might just do his own thing. If you want a sure thing, find a tiger pistol shrimp/candy cane pistol shrimp.
yeah that’s what i’m probably gonna do because the shrimp is double the size of the goby so i’m just gonna swap it out for a candy cane thanks for the help though

OP
OP
nanonøkk

nanonøkk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are blind pistol shrimps, and ones which are not, the blind shrimp need help, so they pair up, the ones that can see; like the japanese red pistol shrimp, dont need a mate to guide them... you will even notice a much different behavior between blind shrimp and once who can see.
ok thanks for the help

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back