Yasha goby pairing advice

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally found one of the fish I've wanted for a long time at my LFS yasha goby
I had plans to get a pistol shrimp goby pair that was hopefully already paired.
But I dont want to miss out on this yasha
I need help and suggestions on how to pair them
I plan to get a candy cane pistol shrimp from another lfs the same day
Any tips tricks and suggestions please

Dragon52

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I added my Wheelers Gobi prs. I already had a place that I wanted them to go in setup. I then used a piece of 2" id clear PVC to make sure they were added right there. Worked perfectly

VKP01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yasha and candy stripe that I paired, the goby was put in first and found his spot in a rock, then I just put a thick piece of airline down to the hole and poured the shrimp in it. They shouldn’t hurt the goby, you just have to make sure they find each other

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pistol had been in the tank for about a month when my Randall’s goby came out of qt. I put the net with the goby down to the entrance of the borrow so that he went straight in when he left the net. They paired right up and were out the next day.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added these all at different times and they found each other. I added the shrimp first and did not see it for over a month. Then I added one goby and also did not see it after adding it. I thought they both died. I even lifted the rocks to look for them and couldn't find them. Then a few weeks later I added another goby. For a few weeks I thought he was the lone inhabitant of the tank. Then a few weeks later, all three emerged from the burrow!

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added these all at different times and they found each other. I added the shrimp first and did not see it for over a month. Then I added one goby and also did not see it after adding it. I thought they both died. I even lifted the rocks to look for them and couldn't find them. Then a few weeks later I added another goby. For a few weeks I thought he was the lone inhabitant of the tank. Then a few weeks later, all three emerged from the burrow!

Awesome thank you and great video

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said ina 40 you shouldn’t need to do anything, they will find each other probably in a week or so. A word of warning - Make sure you take precautions to avoid losing the yasha to jumping or to the back chamber (not as bad as dying obviously but annoying). If you have the old version of the Nuvo tank cover the gap between the cover and the glass is too big. You can seal it with 1/4” tubing cut in half and then glued or with rubber window sealing strips that you can get at a hardware store. The overflow grate is wide enough for smaller gobies to get Through (this happened to my hifin goby twice). IM sells fish guards that help, you may want to cut some of the bars off so you still get surface skimming from the overflow. I used plastic canvas that i glued to the back of the overflow
And cut holes in for surface skimming and flow.

If you have the new IM cover with 1/4” mesh the yasha can get through it and stuck in the mesh and die that way so you will want to get a different mesh entirely.
I wish IM made their tanks goby proof!

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said ina 40 you shouldn’t need to do anything, they will find each other probably in a week or so. A word of warning - Make sure you take precautions to avoid losing the yasha to jumping or to the back chamber (not as bad as dying obviously but annoying). If you have the old version of the Nuvo tank cover the gap between the cover and the glass is too big. You can seal it with 1/4” tubing cut in half and then glued or with rubber window sealing strips that you can get at a hardware store. The overflow grate is wide enough for smaller gobies to get Through (this happened to my hifin goby twice). IM sells fish guards that help, you may want to cut some of the bars off so you still get surface skimming from the overflow. I used plastic canvas that i glued to the back of the overflow
And cut holes in for surface skimming and flow.

If you have the new IM cover with 1/4” mesh the yasha can get through it and stuck in the mesh and die that way so you will want to get a different mesh entirely.
I wish IM made their tanks goby proof!
dang I didnt think about that hate having a lid on my tank I'll have to buy more mess the tank came with the mess lid but it was beat pretty bad so I saved the bracket and threw out the mesh

Are they really that likely to jump?
I found a candy cane pistol shrimp at the same lfs they are drip acclimating together now

20191013_174523.jpg

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang I didnt think about that hate having a lid on my tank I'll have to buy more mess the tank came with the mess lid but it was beat pretty bad so I saved the bracket and threw out the mesh

Are they really that likely to jump?
I found a candy cane pistol shrimp at the same lfs they are drip acclimating together now

20191013_174523.jpg
Yes, they are prone to jumping. Mine has tried to jump during feeding before.

Scubasteve11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have an IM Nuvo tank and my Yahsa has squeezed through the overflow at least four times.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i believe it was a yasha goby that inappropriate reefer lost a couple months ago with a mesh top. i think he had to do a double screen (it got stuck in the mesh top)

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are unbelievably likely to jump. I lost one hifin goby (same genus as Yasha) in qt to the smallest crack where the glass lid gave space for the hob filter. The second time I put the new goby in a fish breeding box. In the main tank I took precautions by sealing the lid (I have the old lid so I don't have the issue Inappropriate Reefer had that @mattzang mentioned). The goby got through the overflow grate twice before I put plastic mesh. It was such a pain!

if your tank isn't sealed and you haven't put them in yet then my advice is to keep the the goby in some kind of container that lets water flow through in the tank until you goby-proof it.

All that said, these gobies are worth turning your tank into a fortress. My hifin is beautiful, always out front and active, and her relation with the pistol shrimp is amazing to watch!
IMG_1622.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back