DeepSea's IM Nuvo 40 Build

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been out of the reefing hobby for close to 3 years now, and i finally have some money to throw away so i figured
id start small with a Nuvo 40 budget build my overall budget was 1k
i found a IM Nuvo 40 tank for $80 at my LFS and gladly bought it
i built a stand with left over wood i had in my basement, which quickly spiraled from a budget stand to a $160 some odd dollars. but i can say i am completely happy with the way it turned out.

Now to the equipment
upgraded to the mighty jet 538 gph (used $60)
AI Prime HD with 18in tank mount (used $170)
125W Eheim Jager heater (New $28)
IM rubber leveling mat (new $11)
upgraded media baskets (used $40)
2 jabeo wavemakers (used $40)
IM UV sterilizer (used $40)
IM protein skimmer (Used $100)
Aquatic Life RO Buddie with DI ($59 amazon)
ADJ products AC power strip ($32 amazon)

Bulkreef base rock 40lbs ($120)
Caribsea Fiji Pink sand 40lbs($50 shipped to my house)(PETSMART cheapest i could find at $21.99 per 20lb bag)

All this puts my running total at about $950

i should have everything to get the setup going for this weekend
i am just as excited as i am nervous, because we all know in this hobby what can go wrong will go wrong, but im hoping for the best

I'm going to do a fish-less cycle using Dr Tims I'm hoping for a quick cycle around 1 month

After the cycle my fish stocking plan is
2 clowns most likely the MochaVinci
1 pistol shrimp
1 Yasha Goby
2-3 banggai cardinal fish

Corals will mostly consist of LPS with some softies mixed in

Now my question for all of you is what is your preferred filter media for these AIO

stuff.jpg stuff 2.jpg stuff 3.jpg

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks excellent, man! Big fan of the stand.
Thank you! this is the first stand i built that actually had decent trim work it took me about a week in total using a basic hand saw and some power hand tools.
i need to grab another picture tonight i ended up painting it black.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! I have the same tank and I can't believe you got it for that price! That's a heck of a deal!

For filtration I'm running the following:
  • Chamber 1 - inTank filter floss caddy with inTank filter floss (changed every 3 days or so)
  • Chamber 2 - inTank refugium basket with chaeto and Marinepure bioballs
    • Fuge light is IM Chaetomax on 12 hour cycle after display tank lights go out
  • Chamber 4 - IM Ghost Desktop Skimmer (skimming pretty wet)
  • Chamber 5 - inTank media basket with filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure blue and more Marinepure bioballs
I started without the fuge but after slacking on water changes my nitrates were pushing 30ppm so I added it and it really seemed to help after a couple of weeks. I try to do a 5 gallon (~15%) water change every week but sometimes that gets pushed to every 2 weeks. I also turkey baste the sandbed and rocks every 3-4 days to keep detritus from building up. I'm just over 8 months in and everything seems pretty stable with this setup and I have a very similar stocking list as you're going for (two clownfish, pistol shrimp with yellow watchman goby, and a firefish). I also have a feather duster, coco worm and just added a flame scallop so I dose phyto pretty heavy but so far the filtration seems to handle it and phosphates have stayed between 0.03 and 0.07 ppm.

Best of luck on your new build!

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice start! I have the same tank and I can't believe you got it for that price! That's a heck of a deal!

For filtration I'm running the following:
  • Chamber 1 - inTank filter floss caddy with inTank filter floss (changed every 3 days or so)
  • Chamber 2 - inTank refugium basket with chaeto and Marinepure bioballs
    • Fuge light is IM Chaetomax on 12 hour cycle after display tank lights go out
  • Chamber 4 - IM Ghost Desktop Skimmer (skimming pretty wet)
  • Chamber 5 - inTank media basket with filter floss, purigen, chemi-pure blue and more Marinepure bioballs
I started without the fuge but after slacking on water changes my nitrates were pushing 30ppm so I added it and it really seemed to help after a couple of weeks. I try to do a 5 gallon (~15%) water change every week but sometimes that gets pushed to every 2 weeks. I also turkey baste the sandbed and rocks every 3-4 days to keep detritus from building up. I'm just over 8 months in and everything seems pretty stable with this setup and I have a very similar stocking list as you're going for (two clownfish, pistol shrimp with yellow watchman goby, and a firefish). I also have a feather duster, coco worm and just added a flame scallop so I dose phyto pretty heavy but so far the filtration seems to handle it and phosphates have stayed between 0.03 and 0.07 ppm.

Best of luck on your new build!

Thank you!
but i have the basket for the refugium i just need to get a light for it
on my last take i was running chemipure elite but i was stocked pretty heavy and i dont think i will need that this time.

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re off to a great start. I have the same tank, but I went bare bottom (no sandbed), so I loaded up both sides of the bottom reservoir chamber with MarinePure biospheres to get some additional surface area.

Chamber 1: IM Bio-pellet Reactor and heater (30ml of biopellets).
Chamber 2: IM NuvoSkim DC
Chamber 3: Cheato with a IM Chaetomax Refugium Light.
Chamber 4: Purigen bag and filter floss.

For the Chambers 3 & 4, I made my own baskets using egg crate.

I do weekly 4 gallon water changes (5 gallon buckets are measured to the brim, so unless you fill it to the brim, you’re not using 5 gallons). Also, I measured how much water is actually in my tank, with my equipment and my rocks displaying the water and it’s about 28 gallons. Something to keep in mind when using the BRS dosing calculator.

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re off to a great start. I have the same tank, but I went bare bottom (no sandbed), so I loaded up both sides of the bottom reservoir chamber with MarinePure biospheres to get some additional surface area.

Chamber 1: IM Bio-pellet Reactor and heater (30ml of biopellets).
Chamber 2: IM NuvoSkim DC
Chamber 3: Cheato with a IM Chaetomax Refugium Light.
Chamber 4: Purigen bag and filter floss.

For the Chambers 3 & 4, I made my own baskets using egg crate.

I do weekly 4 gallon water changes (5 gallon buckets are measured to the brim, so unless you fill it to the brim, you’re not using 5 gallons). Also, I measured how much water is actually in my tank, with my equipment and my rocks displaying the water and it’s about 28 gallons. Something to keep in mind when using the BRS dosing calculator.

thanks for the info im still deciding what filter media would be best but cheato is a must in smaller tanks.

i was thinking filter floss on top then chemipure blue then purigen the crushed rock that came in the box with my larger rocks
IM mid skimmer
chaeto
then filter floss, purigen and crushed rock again

reef_daddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the Chaeto with Fuge light and basket working out pretty good?
When I first stared the tank, I couldn’t keep the Chaeto alive, it would slowly turn brown and disintegrate away. But now that my Phosphates are growing, I’m giving it another shot. I figured it wasn’t performing well because it was a new tank. We’ll see how this round goes...

Jfinn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the Chaeto with Fuge light and basket working out pretty good?
Totally! Been running my in tank fuge with chaetomaxx light for almost a year. I get 2x-3x growth every 2 weeks filling the back chamber (shown in pics). I cut 1/3 off the mass and throw 2/3 away. Sorry to jump in !
E2A66834-547A-42E8-9DB4-C5C7EDEF1A99.jpeg

6153377E-EAA7-4F44-A519-555703C025D7.jpeg

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally! Been running my in tank fuge with chaetomaxx light for almost a year. I get 2x-3x growth every 2 weeks filling the back chamber (shown in pics). I cut 1/3 off the mass and throw 2/3 away. Sorry to jump in !
E2A66834-547A-42E8-9DB4-C5C7EDEF1A99.jpeg

6153377E-EAA7-4F44-A519-555703C025D7.jpeg

Awesome! I’m glad it is working out for you. I used to have the Lagoon and could not get any growth out of it. Do you notice any lower nitrates and phosphates than from before?

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man, I like it. With these taller tanks it’s hard to scape from what I’ve heard. You have plenty of room for coral placement. This is one of my personal favorite steps to setting up a new tank.

OP
OP
DeepSeaReefer7

DeepSeaReefer7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice man, I like it. With these taller tanks it’s hard to scape from what I’ve heard. You have plenty of room for coral placement. This is one of my personal favorite steps to setting up a new tank.

Me as well I just wish I had some flat pieces and tonga branches. But it is what it is ha
I think it looks decent

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're not happy with it, just wait till you find the rock you want. Nothing is worse than having the tank filled and cycled and ready to go, but you're on the fence about your own scape. Go through and source what you need so you're just that much more motivated to keep up with your vision .

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me as well I just wish I had some flat pieces and tonga branches. But it is what it is ha
I think it looks decent

I’ve been debating using the branches and staxx rock. As of right now, I’m thinking the caribsea purple rock. They make a stacker type too. I prefer to have all one type because I think it looks a little more natural.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back