Yay we finally got our own forum!!!

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Icecap balast the bulb is an XM 15K. I'll have to wait to get home to get you the model number on the icecap.

Store name is Ultimate Aquariums and the phone number is 540-580-7755. If you are coming I-81 from Richmond get off at the Troutville exit before you get to roanoke (about 10-15 min outside Roanoke). Here is the thread wit hthe link on RC sorry for the bad forum referal...

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1209842

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah! forgot about that.

are you gonna come to the big meet at Twon8's place?

i don't know the new address......but its easy to get to.

there are 2 ways from Richmond.

1) get in 64-west.....then get in 81-south. get off on exit 150B towards Daleville. store is in the shopping center on the right hand side, right off the exit/interstate

2) drive out towards powhatan/cumberland from midlothian (route 60?). go towards appomatix, and then get on 460.....take 460 through Lynchburg, and all the way to Roanoke. before you get to Roanoke, get on 220 north. you'll pass under interstate 81....and the shopping center is on the right.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you recommend a good 20K SE bulb?

radium
oh and thanks on the name

if you are running an icecap electronic 250w ballast......radium is definitely a good choice.

but if the bulb is too expensive (~$90)......i'd suggest getting the hamilton 14k....it actually has better PAR than the radium.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont think ill make the meeting, working sucks
i probably bumped into him at atlantis or fishworld too...lol

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the Hamilton have that blue-ish crispness to it? Is the radium more blue? Would it give me better color displays? Or does the PAR reffect the coloration better?

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will the Hamilton have that blue-ish crispness to it? Is the radium more blue? Would it give me better color displays? Or does the PAR reffect the coloration better?

on electronic ballast......hamilton is a true 14k....which is the crispness. radium 20k is a bit more bluer......but not the washed out blue look like the XM20k.

hard to say what you'll get the better color with, probably the radium.

but the hamilton14k is probably better for sps......and likewise the radium is probably better for zoas/lps (on electronic ballast).

PAR......IMO is more about growth than color.

i'm more interested in color than growth in my tank......thus why i choose the radium. but thats a bad comparison b/c i run the radium on an HQI ballast.....so the bulb only lasts 4-6months.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would it last on the icecap??? do they last longer on the electronic balasts or something? I'm guessing hellolights would have them and for a good price?? I wonder if Chris stocks any MH bulbs.... servantsoldier can you comment on what you all have in stock?

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah color is way more important than growth to me too. It'll grow I'm sure but I wantthe look all the time

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long would it last on the icecap??? do they last longer on the electronic balasts or something? I'm guessing hellolights would have them and for a good price?? I wonder if Chris stocks any MH bulbs.... servantsoldier can you comment on what you all have in stock?

they'll last ~12months on electronics....which is the norm.

on HQI.....you are overdriving the bulb to get more PAR out of it, but it doesn't last as long.

i get my radiums from premiumaquatics. hello lights doesn't have them.

not sure if chris gets in any MH's.....maybe just geisman and XM, if any. bulbs are tough to keep in stock b/c they are so expensive if no one buys them.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the link/insight. You are definately most helpfull!!! Wish you were here in town, although cville isn't that far away!

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave ya some feedback for allyour time and info today!!! I hear ya. We used to do a lot of work for Crutchfield up there. I wasn't a big fan of the town myself. Not quite sure how to explain it but I'm sure you know! Bet you were happy last saturday while the rest of the locals were cryin' the blues!!

OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's up Turbo i just got off work. The purple deaths look maroonish??? Wow i'll need to come over and check it out. Maybe it's your 15K bulb. I have 20K's and they are purple in my tank. Where do you have them in your tank. Try moving them into higher light as i have most of my stuff blasting with light but my lights are a lot closer to the water than yours. How is the RPE looking???

OP
OP
Hypertek99

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and Chris lost most of his SPS stuff moving to the new store. He doesn't keep anything at home anymore just his shark tank. I think he has a few more of the red watermelon chalices left they are real Tyree chalices so that's why they are so expensive. He does have linage to them.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What up brutha!!!!!!!!! Yeah i put them both mid way up. I think its my bulb! Do you have that old 20K. I'm thinking of doing what surfn said and going with the hamilton 14K, but if you had the 20 and it did the trick then I'd just buy one of those. The RPE gives me wood!!! That thing is kicken' like uncle Clem's chicken!!! Yeah the purple death looks a bit more like Hokie maroon.... I'm sure it's my lighting and my even be the PCs?? I think I'll mess areound with it some tonight and see. If you have that bulb let me know and I can swing by and grab it on the way home.....and check out you setup......if the wife doesn't kill me. wait....i've gotta pick up nik so it'd have to be super quick. Call me if you can!

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm still a bit scared of the chalis I think..... they are super pretty but I know nothin about them. I'm thinking that after the holidays and the move I'll be in more of a position to really invest in the rare-ities. Hopefully I'll have a larger tank as well... Maybe a 55 or something.....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back