Yay we finally got our own forum!!!

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is a good start!!!! Hopefully we will get some more takers. And we need to get hris to advertise on this site too. Or maybe just be a vendor??? I'm not sure how that all works but......

I've been trying to plant seeds to a few of the folks over there. You already won the referal contest though Hyper so.......

You better post some pix of the awesome stuff you won!!!! And I totally understand if your tank gets too full and you need to unload stuff. I'll go ahead and get another tank and be ready for your frags..... mmmuuuuwaaahhhaahhhaa

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And we need to get hris to advertise on this site too. Or maybe just be a vendor??? I'm not sure how that all works but......

I've been trying to plant seeds to a few of the folks over there.

believe me, ever since we started taking sponsors.....and chris fragged his red watermelon chalice i've been bugging him about getting his website up and running and signing up as a sponsor here.

b/c there are definitely people out there on the internet who would gladly pay big bucks for some of the frags he has.....even if locals won't pay it.

now that he has both of the sam's working for him, i'm hoping maybe he'll have the time to update the site with stuff for sale etc. although i wonder if he doesn't want to get into it b/c of the hassel of shipping stuff to people can be a little time consuming.

i gave one our CZ business cards to mike (aka reefdadx2), he came through a week or two ago b/c he wanted to take a look at my tank and pick up some purple deaths and nuclear greens.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he have a bunch of stuff still at his house? Because the only "big bucks" stuff in the store are frags in his 210 display. I didn't think you could frag a frag but thats just me not knowing again. Maybe he keeps all the good stuff at home? The stuff for sale is nice don't get me wrong. Just wondering when the last time you were actually in his store to make the coment that locals won't pay? If it was for sale I would have bought it from him????? I'm dying for Nuclear greens and he has them it just a 10-15 polyp frag in his display. Same with all the other "rare" stuff. When I talk to him he doesn't seem like he wants to sell them yet. But that was last week..... maybe you know something I don't. : )

I'm sure that shipping means more risk to capitol too. DOAs and such. Hopefully he will get his site up soon!!!

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i haven't been by there since he moved the store.....but i've known him ever since he moved into Roanoke as we have done lots of trading in the past, he's gotten ALL of his best zoas/palys from me.....and he also helped me build my current acrylic tank.

last time i saw his show tank, he had a dozen or so small frags of red watermelon chalice, and a dozen or so frags of that orange/pink chalice. he could easily sell each of those red watermelon for $250/each, and the other chalice at $100+/each. the purple watermelon would probably go for $150+/each. and he had tons of alien eye chalice frags all over the place.....that he was selling to locals for $20-$30/each which he could easily sell for $75/each off the internet.

i believe he also wanted to thin out his micro collection. those are all VERY pricey micros that are much bigger than your normal 1-2 polyp frag IMO.

he was flooded with too many small frags all over the place, so he was letting stuff sell for prices WAAAAY lower than he would like.....and he knows it. but he also knows locals won't pay the prices he could get for selling the same ultra rare frags on the internet, as there have been quite a few customers who ask a price....and then are like "no way i'm paying that much for something that small".

the problem is, over 75% of his customers know nothing of the rarity of any of the corals.....as they aren't involved in the internet reefing community.

when i made the comment that locals won't pay the big bucks for the ultra rare stuff........i am quoting him as he is the one that tells me this stuff.

he doesn't keep anything at home anymore....as he only has a shark in his once reef tank at home now b/c its easier to maintain. he was getting burned out on having to maintain a reef at home and in the store.

Last edited:

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....where is his store?!
how much is he selling watermellons for
i want me a watermellon!!!
ill more than gladly drive a few hours to raid his store

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....where is his store?!
how much is he selling watermellons for
i want me a watermellon!!!
ill more than gladly drive a few hours to raid his store

his store is in Roanoke, Virginia. (check mapquest)

i have no idea what his current availability is on his watermelon morphs...they are not "officially" for sale though that I know of.

if he got his website up and running and posted them up there, i guaruntee they'd all sell within a week and he'd make a couple thousand off all the frags.

.....if he even still has them.......i know he was trying to put some trades together with people on RC for them at one point, b/c RC wouldn't let him sell the frags on their forum.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just outside of Roanoke (Troutville) i believe is the name on the exit. I'll check for the watermelon chalice frags but I didn't see them last time I was there. Again, I'll ask when I'm there next if he is holding them elsewhere. It's nice not to pay shipping for stuff and see it before you buy it. Maybe everyone else got all the good rare stuff for the lower price before I started going there. He was still getting that big shallow tank going when I was last there so maybe that is where he is going to put all that stuff??? I just feel bad asking him to frag a polyp or 2 even if it is $50 a polyp out of his display. Maybe he just ceeps the good things in there so that the water quality is optimum??? You know him better than I do. One of the Sams posts here a bit so maybe he can chime in. Guess next time I'm there I'll wave a $100 at him and ask what will he sell me out of the display??????

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or maybe I can make some extra $$ on the Hokies loosing to BC and just buy one of each in the display.......... Just kidding : )

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw...i guess he doesn't have near the stock of sps to sell on his website as he did before he broke down his big tank at home. he brought some of the colonies into the store to cut up and sell as frags, but i'm pretty sure most of the stuff went into clients tanks he has contracts with.....the rest of the stuff went into the backyard.

these are chalices i'm talking about (i took these pics for him back in april before he cut some of them up)

purple watermelon

watermelonmorph2zoomout.jpg

red watermelon

redwatermelon.jpg

crazy colored chalice

crazychalice3.jpg

alien eye chalice

alieneyechalice2.jpg

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. About how long does it take for those to grow into the colonies, provided optimum water and light. 1" per year or more? Not too familiar with the chalice corals. Sure are pretty though. I vaguely remember seeing those when he was in salem I think. I was just starting my tank back up then and mostly bought sand rock and zoas, but those are outta sight! So would it be $250 for the frag (i know you aren't pricing for him but just asking in general if that is what they go for) Thanks for all you info. You've got some great stuff too by the way. If you want to sell me a frag of the Nuclear greens let me know. If I can't talk him out of 1 or 2 then I'll get them fom you.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw.......the Richmond club is having a HUGE meetings and frag raffle coming up in a week and a half.

$20 gets you a raffle ticket....and there will be LOTS of wicked frags available like purple death, nuclear greens, armor of god, that purple alien eye chalice, aussie acans, micros, duncans, blasto's, florida rics, etc.

and that doesn't even include the sps......like sunset monti, oregon tort, pink lemonade, superman monti........i could go on forever.

$20/ticket gets you 1 frag....which is a steal considering this stuff is worth way over $20/frag.

ya'll should really consider going, its an easy drive down 460, past Lynchburg, and into Amelia county (not even all the way into Richmond technically). probably take ya'll 2hrs to get there. and we have people coming all the way from Maryland and DC.

http://www.club-zoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7618

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. About how long does it take for those to grow into the colonies, provided optimum water and light. 1" per year or more? Not too familiar with the chalice corals. Sure are pretty though. I vaguely remember seeing those when he was in salem I think. I was just starting my tank back up then and mostly bought sand rock and zoas, but those are outta sight! So would it be $250 for the frag (i know you aren't pricing for him but just asking in general if that is what they go for) Thanks for all you info. You've got some great stuff too by the way. If you want to sell me a frag of the Nuclear greens let me know. If I can't talk him out of 1 or 2 then I'll get them fom you.

growth depends on so many things....lighting, water quality...etc. but they grow like weeds in his tank IMO.

yeah.....i can't speak for him as far as prices. but i'm just saying those are similar prices compared to other places i've seen frags for sale.

actually, i don't have my nuclear greens anymore. i've sold/traded away 90% of the rare zoas i had back in the spring. i was just getting a little burned out on them and wanted to keep more sps.

turbois300

Man In Need of Sleep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that raffel sounds pretty sweet. I can't go because my wife and I have a newborn but I'd gladly give someone from up here $20 to be a part of it. Thats cool! I guess I'll have to try and sweet talk Chris I guess....I'm not really good at that though and my wife would kick me in the nutz if I spend $100 on any coral.....but $1000 for some jewelry is ok???? Jeez, married life ain't fair sometimes.

Is keeping the chalices like keeping sps? I have a piece of superman monti and a bali green slimer that are doing awesome. That monti grows like crazy!!!

I have a few questions on coloring up these corals. I got the monti from Hyper and it was brown polyps with a white base. He gave it to me to save and I did. The new growth has killer red polyps but the base is a pale blue and not that vibrant blue you see online. I have it on the bottom of the tank. Its a 30 gal and I have 250 12(or15)K MH and 2 actinic 55watt PCs. should I move it higher in the tank now that it is growing? Also I got a purple death paly and tthe color is more of a maroonish color. would that too benifit from higher placement in the tank? I like that vibrant purple like Marvin has. Is there a particular supplement that I can dose with that makes them (blues and purples) pop more? I do Calcium and reef builder supplements all the time as well as feed phytoplankton. Thanks for any suggestions.

surfn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
chalices are lps......so they take MUCH less light and less flow. chris has the magic touch to get them to grow fast and look awesome......i'm still learning what they like.

as far as the superman.....if it had a white base....i'd say it was either bleached, or dying b/c it wasn't getting enough light. same goes for the purple death....probably not getting enough light. but it really depends on what brand of bulb it is. 20k is best to get stuff to have amazing colors.

before you move anything up....find out the exact brand of MH bulb you are using, and the type of ballast.

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does anyone have an address or a store name?
i dont want to go to roanoke wandering around looking for a store...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back