00W's AIO Smorgasbord

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like my Florida trip will be week of May 13th. confirming flights with TSA tomorrow and then will start new thread. Because some extra money has come my Way (hmmm), I have added a day to my trip so I can officially tour World Wide Corals as well and can purchase a camera to document this once in a lifetime trip.

WWC are the ones that got me into this hobby and in all honesty kept me in it to try again with this new tank. Hoping Victor and Josh will be available. I will be so giddy that whole week seeing all these display tanks, farms, etc. at both companies. I have never actually seen corals grown out into colonies or tanks that are actually designed from scape to coral. Only online in photos and videos. Not to mention the FISH! If I see a mature chocolate tang, he is going around my neck in a fish bowl like Gil, in What About Bob!

Unfortunately my son won’t be able to join me - he just got promoted to a manager at the restaurant he works at and can’t ask for that much time off in the first month. I totally understand and support that but am really really bummed. But can’t let him know that. If I’m honest with myself I probably could not have done Disneyworld or Universal this close to finishing radiation. Not prudent to put that kind of pressure on leg going on rides. Until these latest scans I just did, I didn’t know the extent of the damage.

My inclination is to always be paying it forward when it comes to my good fortune and blessings so I got this hair-brained idea to see if Dylan could join me and experience the best of the best in LFS in this country and take what he learned and utilize that knowledge at his store. I asked TSA and they said yes. Dylan is seeing if he could get away and let his two partners handle the store and also afford the trip as it’s on his dime.

My even further hair-brained idea would be if TSA comes to RAP in Anaheim in September, that Blaine does a client tank visit at my house to show all the progress I’ve had with the $1000 in corals I won. My tank already has 75% TSA corals so it would be loaded. And then visits Dylan’s store. It’s a stretch, but I’ve made a lot more crazy ideas then this come to fruition.

And even if he can’t make the trip, I will have a blast. I loved traveling on business trips when I worked for Berkshire Hathaway- and that was just to their offices in Omaha, Colorado, San Diego. I always thought of them as adventures- meet local people sitting at restaurant bars eating dinner, walking around a downtown looking at architecture. So this trip will be the same - I will get to meet cool people like TARAS! @tbrown imagine the cool conversations at dinner with him and the TSA team! His videos are off the charts!

All of it would make me feel like I continue to have a purpose on this Earth that extends past family and friends. It’s how I’m wired.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's never to early to test for copper. There are some GAC brands that have recently begun leaching copper. If you're seeing issues that appear to be copper it doesn't hurt to check.
What’s GAC?

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my sorry guys I took a shower and fell asleep in my chair.
Very busy weekend for April not even summer yet. I have no idea where everyone is coming from.
Nothing to eat in the house so I'm having 4 sausages and mustard with a bottle of pellegrino.
Rest Joel - never apologize for relaxing especially since you do it so rarely.

On the other hand you might need to apologize for that dinner!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never ever tested for mag or copper.
I still use a swing arm hydrometer.
I used API for my whole career until the past 4 or 5 months I use Hanna for nitrate, phos and alk. They are easy but also I've had a few issues with them as well.
Use API for ph and calcium.
I have really only tested ph and alk lately.
Those seem to be what my tanks telling me is important lately.
Might sound weird but I listen ;)
Doesn’t sound weird- and once I get more mature in my knowledge and my tank matures, I would likely just test PH and Alk on a weekly basis and the others monthly. I am learning to listen to my tank, and also seeing what it tells me; however I am nowhere near your, Frank’s, and Tim’s level so I test it all on a regular basis.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Doesn’t sound weird- and once I get more mature in my knowledge and my tank matures, I would likely just test PH and Alk on a weekly basis and the others monthly. I am learning to listen to my tank, and also seeing what it tells me; however I am nowhere near your, Frank’s, and Tim’s level so I test it all on a regular basis.
Most people aren't on my level. I'm on a level all my own! It's like when you go in the elevator and there's the B or G button that takes you underground to the basement/garage... I'm that one that you push that's just a star. It takes you halfway between the first floor and the basement and you have to crawl out of the half open doors through something just larger than a crawl space between floors.

Yep, that's my level!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most people aren't on my level. I'm on a level all my own! It's like when you go in the elevator and there's the B or G button that takes you underground to the basement/garage... I'm that one that you push that's just a star. It takes you halfway between the first floor and the basement and you have to crawl out of the half open doors through something just larger than a crawl space between floors.

Yep, that's my level!
And I took the road less traveled…

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to test on a regular basis especially in the beginning. Helps you understand your tank and it's tendencies.
Remember to test the same way every time and don't be afraid retest if things are off.

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have a chemi-pure bag. I don’t do carbon otherwise. Is chemi-pure still considered in the GAC category?
I would say yes, mostly in a way, for sure ;)
I'm going to say chemi-pure is probably OK.
There's a lot people don't understand about copper and how it's found in so many sources.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - you are the model for that! So cool!
On Myers Briggs I’m an ENTJ
Good to test on a regular basis especially in the beginning. Helps you understand your tank and it's tendencies.
Remember to test the same way every time and don't be afraid retest if things are off.
yes, I just learned a few weeks ago I should test at the same time of day and before feeding. DOH!

OP
OP
00W

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good night everyone!
See y'all in the morning!
Sargassum-Triggerfish.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Frank, when you do test, what’s important to you?
Not often,salinity weekly , alk and cal most important , do watch a ph monitor though
just tested all, last full test was last july... :rolleyes: :)

Calmwaters

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Especially if your on pain meds and you don't know how to read a syringe like me yesterday... lol

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not often,salinity weekly , alk and cal most important , do watch a ph monitor though
just tested all, last full test was last july... :rolleyes: :)
Can you expand a bit on weekly salinity - I test weekly as well, but that’s mostly to see if my ATO is adding correctly. Is it because you are making your own saltwater?

PH monitor - what kind?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 37 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back