Yeah I know just another 60 cube...

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like everyone has a 60 cube on here haha. Well here's mine just crossed the 3 month barrier.

Just a little background info. I've gone through 7 tanks in the last 8 years. All under 60g and this tank being the largest. Like most everyone else I love the dimensions of this tank and it's still pretty small. I have 3 little ones so its a great size for the kids and me as well. It's located in our office so it's nice I can also shut the doors if needed or open them up and get a great view from our living room couch. So on to the equipment...

60g Marineland rimless 24" cube
Custom 36"h stand built using RocketEngineer's method. 29.5L x 29.5"W x 36"H. I used maple all around and stained it to match decor. Used Kiltz inside.
20g high sump with white acrylic baffles.
Kessil A360N w/ Spectral Controller
Bubble Magus Curve 5
Ecotech MP10w
Tunze 6040
RKL controller
Jeabo DCT3000 return
DJ powerstrip
TLF reactor for PO4 remover
TLF reactor for carbon

Fish

1 Lyretail Anthias
1 Pygmy Cherub Angel
1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Snowflake Clown
1 B&W clown

Corals

SPS

Tyree Pink Lemonade
Cali Tort
ORA Red Planet
Purple Poccilipora
Bali Green Slimer

LPS

Metallic green Fungia
Ultra Orange/green/purple Fungia
Duncan's
Purple tipped Frogspawn
Red Blasto Wellsi

Softies

Sunny D Zoas
Rainbow Palys
RPE Palys
Capnella sp.
3 types of Yuma

Inverts

Scarlet Cleaner shrimp
CUC
Rose BTA

This week I'll be getting a shipment of 3 rainbow acans, green/yellow sinularia colony and a gold torch.
So far everything is doing excellent. I started the tank using BRS Pukani rock and used acrylic rods to make overhangs and caves. I'll post some more pics of the actual build too.

Thanks for looking!

Jayson

OP
OP
dailydriven911

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's one of my Fungias eating a piece of clam it snagged. It's got two seperate mouths on it which I thought was pretty neat.

OP
OP
dailydriven911

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the sump/refugium. I packed the refugium section with about 20-25 lbs of L/R rubble. It has a ton of life already and using as a cryptic zone for nutrient export.

OP
OP
dailydriven911

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the sump underneath. Pretty basic and eventually I'd like to upgrade and complicate the plumbing to add reactors and other equipment. Also would like to add a seperate area for the electronics.

OP
OP
dailydriven911

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a heck of a "just another 60 cube"!!!

Haha thank you! I think it turned out pretty well. Have some future changes in mind though. :)

Very nice, love the trench look in the scape

Thanks it's a trench/cave that extends about 18" from front to back. Fish love it for hiding spots and sleeping.

I love these cubes and you did an excellent job with this one.

Well it's a tough tank to aquascape. I tried 4x and settled on this look. I usually try and stay simple and let the corals grow out to provide the aquascape. I wanted the fish to have some security this time around. Thanks for the compliments!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I love the look of the 60 cubes!! I am thinking of getting one. Any drawbacks of getting one?

OP
OP
dailydriven911

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I love the look of the 60 cubes!! I am thinking of getting one. Any drawbacks of getting one?

Only drawback is aquascaping is kinda tough. It took me awhile to get a decent one. Other than that I've been very happy with it. I'd suggest a rimless tank as it looks so much better imo. Unless of course you put a canopy on it. :)

OP
OP
dailydriven911

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you post a link to the stand build? The only commercial ones are black and that wont work.

Nice tank BTW!

I used the RocketEngineer stand plans to build it. DIY Stands Template and Calculator - Reef Central Online Community Unfortunately I tossed my cut list for the wood I used. I basically built the frame from cedar 2x4's (little spendy but much straighter wood). Covered the rear, sides and top with 3/4" maple plywood. I skinned the front with true maple. Then I hung the door in the middle. I used 3/4" maple to surround the tank to give it an inset look. I used Kilz white paint for the interior and rolled it for a smooth finish. Also did the top piece where the tank sits on. Then stained/poly to match our furniture.

OP
OP
dailydriven911

dailydriven911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love 60 cubes. This one looks great! Good job brother.

Thanks! It's a great size for sure.

Great tank! How well does the overwork work and how silent is it?

The H2Overflow works great! Has a removable top piece, is sleek and doesn't take up tank space and quiet. It's near silent when matching the return pump output with one of the supplied rubber grommets. I've been very happy so far. Just need to cut a hole in the glass for a 1 1/2 bulkhead (that's also supplied) and install it. You can position the overflow any way you choose as well.

Very nice work on the cabinetry and great attention to aquascape to boot. Can't wait for this one to grow in!

Thank you! This was my first stand build and I'm happy with how things turned out. :)

NICE!!!! Love the scape.

Thank you!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back