Yellow belly hippo

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does everyone think of the yellow belly hippo tang? Are they worth the extra cost? I haven't seen one in person and some photos make them look really stunning and some they look pretty drab.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The intensity of the yellow belly can vary fish to fish, maturity, and on individual health. It's based on personal preference whether they are worth the cost.

OP
OP
P

paphater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know worth is pretty subjective but I was hoping to hear from people who either had one or saw one decided not to get one. None of my lfs carry them so I can't see them in person.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my yellow belly. Juvenile fish are far less striking and -- nearly impossible to distinguish from their "regular" hippo cousins. Healthy adult specimens I find to be handsome additions.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had both-added simultaneously as little juveniles. They got along well with each other even once they matured. But they started dominating my other fish (to the point where many of my fish were hiding). I rehomed both to a neighbor's tank. They are still together.
This is a poor cell phone pic but shows them as juveniles together. As 4FordFamily stated, when the yellow belly was a juvi his belly was a very soft subtle yellow. As he matured the yellow was more vibrant. People varied on which they thought was the most handsome. I preferred the regular, my husband liked the yellow belly hippo.
20150323_170844.jpg

Also as eatbreakfast stated I have seen rather dull mature yellow belly hippos, although ours was attractive and vibrant.

Last edited:

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back