Yellow Candy Hogfish

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently put a yellow candy hogfish in my tank, which I love, its beautiful! I was told when I bought it that they are peaceful and get along with most tank mates but I'm quickly learning it doesn't like wrasses, is that normal or do I just happen to have a hogfish that doesn't like wrasses?

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
djbetterly

djbetterly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm..interesting. Even Liveaquaria says they are peaceful. I'm guessing this is why my two wrasses have died over the past month or so. Just ordered a fish trap, looks like he's gonna need to find a new home.

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experiences, I have come to realize that every fish has it's own personality. Some are similar to their stereo-types, others not at all it. I had a candy hog for a few years, maybe about 4 ish, and in the beginning he was a great fish ( He was little when I got him). Didn't bother anyone. Then one day he became a terror. Chasing everything in the tank, big and small. And it's not like I have a small tank, it's a 125 gallon, so he had plenty of space. He was all over every inch of the tank, chasing fish into crevices in the rocks. He would harass my chalk bass so bad, that as soon as he would poke his head out of the rock, he would speed over and hover over the hole for a few minutes to make sure he didn't come back out. I do not like returning fish to the LFS, but sometimes it has to happen. I couldn't let my entire tank be terrorized by a 3 inch fish. Hopefully yours won't be a beast! Good luck!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs had one and i was tempted, but searching them on here yielded concerning results, even for the smallish yellow candy one. hogfish don't seem to be kind community fish

Sassifrass7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a peaceful, model citizen!
From what I've read, they are peaceful tankmates until mature, and then like many Wrasse type fish, they become much more aggressive. They are beautiful though! It's funny too, Saltwater.com says they are semi-aggressive, liveaquaria.com says Peaceful. I had the same problem with other fish, the two main online retailers say totally different things. That's not very helpful!

Rockytop_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, mine is a beautiful but aggressive fish. Definitely put him in the tank last if you get one. He doesn’t bother the fish that were in before (Banggai cardinal, two spot blenny, yellow watchman goby) him but harasses new fish (geometric Pygmy hawk fish, radial filefish pair, neon goby). If the fish has the same body shape, do NOT put it in the tank with the candy hogfish.
I had to remove the neon goby and geometric hawk fish. He doesn’t attack the filefish but pushes them around with his mouth. I think it’s mostly about body/head shape that turns him into an aggressive fish.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure this out actually...they are pretty fish though! Ugh so torn!
I totally understand, I was set on getting yellow candy hogfish until I saw my orangeback basslet on Divers den then I had to have that one
LOL

JAWS 32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to figure this out actually...they are pretty fish though! Ugh so torn!
Mine was almost impossible to catch. So I waved a net around in the tank and he went straight into his rock where he slept ( luckily it was mid tank) and I pulled the rock out he was in and put in a bucket and out he came. He was a true terror. Good luck getting yours out!

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was almost impossible to catch. So I waved a net around in the tank and he went straight into his rock where he slept ( luckily it was mid tank) and I pulled the rock out he was in and put in a bucket and out he came. He was a true terror. Good luck getting yours out!
I am considering letting my father in law do some fly fishing... ;) :confused:

BKLYN651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for another fish to add to my aquarium. My yellow hog is great, but seems to be in control of my 55 gallon reef. Have large cardinal, hawk and pair of clowns, which were there before Hog and are all ok. Would another type hog or hawk be OK?

image.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to remove a number of yellow candy hogfish due to aggression. They are particularly intolerant of other wrasses.

Same .... well, twice.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back