Yellow clown gobies

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still a bit blurry, but these are the best, closest pics I've ever taken of my yellow clown goby eggs as they develop.
PXL_20210227_225717183.jpg
PXL_20210227_225720148.jpg
PXL_20210227_225622805.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!!! You all set up for rearing those bad boys?

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE!!! You all set up for rearing those bad boys?
Not really. I did buy a 3gal tank where I wanted to keep them back on their third spawning. Of course I had to acclimate the tank. Once it was ready to take in babies, the hard task of trying to catch the babies took place. I was able to catch 5, but the water flow in the little tank was too strong. So I gave up on that, plus just trying to catch them was hard because these babies are very delicate.

So I tried to just have a nursery inside the main tank. I have been lucky enough the the eggs are being laid in pieces that I da easily transfer to the nursery without exposing them to air (first they were laying on the back side of an exposed suction cup for the water heater, so it was easy to move the suction cup into the nursery, now they're on this flower pot plate that I'll move into the nursery once I see some twitching). So I'm just hoping this time around they don't magically disappear. I'd love go be able to successfully rear these.

Any suggestions are welcomed. This is the current nursery I'll be using (see image). It allows water flow while keeping the babies away from the larger fish. I'll keep you posted.
PXL_20210227_234654210.jpg
PXL_20210227_234701508.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better start culturing your fry food, now.
Google breeding and rearing marine ornamentals. You have some work ahead of you.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone said. You need to read up. Lots of books and references on the subject out there. You need to culture phytoplankton or substitute to feed rotifer culture. The problem with your nursery is that you can’t contain rotifers in that size netting.

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone said. You need to read up. Lots of books and references on the subject out there. You need to culture phytoplankton or substitute to feed rotifer culture. The problem with your nursery is that you can’t contain rotifers in that size netting.
Yeah I know. Been trying to figure out how to set this up. I live in an apartment and I don't want to end up with multiple tanks here. As I said any suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated and welcomed! I'll continue researching. The good thing about all this is that the pair has continued to lay eggs since the first time. So I know I have opportunities to perfect this.

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had fancy guppies a long time ago that would always have babies. Rubber banded some air hose to my glass cleaner wand, I would then suck the fry up into the tube and release them into a gold fish bowl. Took some practice but got pretty good at it LOL

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I know. Been trying to figure out how to set this up. I live in an apartment and I don't want to end up with multiple tanks here. As I said any suggestions and recommendations are greatly appreciated and welcomed! I'll continue researching. The good thing about all this is that the pair has continued to lay eggs since the first time. So I know I have opportunities to perfect this.
Here is the best book on the subject! I turned to the page on clown gobies and this is what I found. Not an easy species to raise, harder than clownfish let’s just say. It says newly hatched larvae require a smaller strain of rotifers and best with wild plankton added. 33 days to reach metamorphosis. By comparison, clownfish reach metamorphosis around day 9 after hatching. In the very last sentence it states that the yellow clown goby, are even more difficult than other con species. I’ve raised clownfish and neon gobies before, not hard at all. Also, I tried raising Midas Blennies back in 2013, a species that has not ever been raised in captivity, but I was not successful. I would lose all the larvae by day 8 after hatching, I even tried the smaller strain rotifer mentioned here. This is not an easy species to raise, but in a hobby where captive breeding is the future, I encourage you to do it and learn if you have the time and resources.

F11604C4-6C11-495B-9FD0-C64A228C6DB0.jpeg EDC77687-5D18-4095-8955-F8548C0715DA.jpeg C840F813-1221-4986-A795-874F00CF5C50.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the best book on the subject! I turned to the page on clown gobies and this is what I found. Not an easy species to raise, harder than clownfish let’s just say. It says newly hatched larvae require a smaller strain of rotifers and best with wild plankton added. 33 days to reach metamorphosis. By comparison, clownfish reach metamorphosis around day 9 after hatching. In the very last sentence it states that the yellow clown goby, are even more difficult than other con species. I’ve raised clownfish and neon gobies before, not hard at all. Also, I tried raising Midas Blennies back in 2013, a species that has not ever been raised in captivity, but I was not successful. I would lose all the larvae by day 8 after hatching, I even tried the smaller strain rotifer mentioned here. This is not an easy species to raise, but in a hobby where captive breeding is the future, I encourage you to do it and learn if you have the time and resources.

F11604C4-6C11-495B-9FD0-C64A228C6DB0.jpeg EDC77687-5D18-4095-8955-F8548C0715DA.jpeg C840F813-1221-4986-A795-874F00CF5C50.jpeg
That is awesome. Thank you so much. Going to look for this book. I'm sure it's still around, or at least a newer version if that's bit new. Again, thanks for the info. I'll try to keep you posted.

Funny thing is my interest was in raising clownfish, here I am with yellow gobies because they turned out to be the ones interested in giving me babies. Lol

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I moved the eggs too early and most died. Out them back where they were and dad got rid of the dead ones. I was too disappointed to watch the remaining viable ones hatch (about 20).

We're back in business again though. Look at all those chickens!

PXL_20210304_181954280.jpg

Also, I got the book!
PXL_20210302_223748955.jpg

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! I moved the eggs too early and most died. Out them back where they were and dad got rid of the dead ones. I was too disappointed to watch the remaining viable ones hatch (about 20).

We're back in business again though. Look at all those chickens!

PXL_20210304_181954280.jpg

Also, I got the book!
PXL_20210302_223748955.jpg
Now you are gonna learn how to raise fish! ... and keep a 5 gal bucket culture of rotifers, enriched with the cultures of phytoplankton, you also need to maintain a supply of. It’s a tedious but rewarding achievement, if you make it through. And I hope you do! Even in your apartment! It can easily be done! Good luck! Post the progress!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back