Yellow Coris Wrasse possible Uronema, help!

SpunCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lovely yellow coris wrasse has come down with a sudden sickness today. Swimming around fine yesterday, today lethargic and wont leave the back left corner. He has a visible red spot on his side. I tried to get a good picture as seen below. Please excuse the dirty glass, its tough to clean back in that corner.

308128128_1590613294745123_8257436706062318968_n.jpg

I dont have my QT tank setup. Ive got a 30 gallon I could use for QT. However it is empty and has no plumbing. Its got one of those small freshwater filters that hangs off the back. Would I be able to fill it with 50% DT water and %50 freshly mixed salt water to set up a quick QT?

On hand, ive got Focus and MetroPlex medicine, which I am mixing in with food now and will continue for a while. However, i cant seem to get the yellow coris to eat (some food floated by him earlier). Should I net the coris, and put him in a separate container that hangs off the tank? That way I can directly give him some medicine and hope he eats it. Or would this be too much stress to net him?

I apologize if my questions seem a bit all over the place. Just want to figure out if there is anyway I can save this homie.

Otherfish in the tank : pair of clowns, sailfin tang, sapphire damsel, 6line wrasse, and a firefish goby.

parameters: 8.7 alk, 1500 magnesium, calcium 500, po4 .01, no4 5-10

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My lovely yellow coris wrasse has come down with a sudden sickness today. Swimming around fine yesterday, today lethargic and wont leave the back left corner. He has a visible red spot on his side. I tried to get a good picture as seen below. Please excuse the dirty glass, its tough to clean back in that corner.

I dont have my QT tank setup. Ive got a 30 gallon I could use for QT. However it is empty and has no plumbing. Its got one of those small freshwater filters that hangs off the back. Would I be able to fill it with 50% DT water and %50 freshly mixed salt water to set up a quick QT?

On hand, ive got Focus and MetroPlex medicine, which I am mixing in with food now and will continue for a while. However, i cant seem to get the yellow coris to eat (some food floated by him earlier). Should I net the coris, and put him in a separate container that hangs off the tank? That way I can directly give him some medicine and hope he eats it. Or would this be too much stress to net him?

I apologize if my questions seem a bit all over the place. Just want to figure out if there is anyway I can save this homie.

Otherfish in the tank : pair of clowns, sailfin tang, sapphire damsel, 6line wrasse, and a firefish goby.

This appears bacterial than uronema which these guys rarely acquire. I would recommend moving fish to a quarantine setting and treating with either seachem kanaplex or Maracyn 2 with increased aeration via air stone. IF fish is eating, you can utilize the metrozanidole but assure you are not over medicating but do not use metro as a sole treatment. Get one of the antibiotics mentioned.
If no quarantine tank, a starter kit at walmart has most of the essentials needed to start one.
Assure good water quality in display and QT tank as elevated ammonia and nitrate can contribute to this
Do NOT Treat in acclimation box as you are in essence treating entire tank

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uronema is tough to identify from just a photograph. How long have you had this fish? Uronema in yellow coris usually shows up relatively soon after you acquire the fish (a month or so). If you've had the fish longer, it may be something else.

Uronema, when it lives inside the fish's muscles, really isn't treatable. Oral meds would be the way to go, but as you've seen, if the fish isn't eating, that won't work. Another issue is that just mixing medications into the food won't work - you need to have a correct dose. For metronidazole, the dose is 0.50 % by food weight.

If this isn't Uronema, it may be a bacterial infection. Gram negative antibiotics (like Neoplex) would be the best course of action. This should be done in a quarantine tank.

Jay

OP
OP
SpunCoral

SpunCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema is tough to identify from just a photograph. How long have you had this fish? Uronema in yellow coris usually shows up relatively soon after you acquire the fish (a month or so). If you've had the fish longer, it may be something else.

Uronema, when it lives inside the fish's muscles, really isn't treatable. Oral meds would be the way to go, but as you've seen, if the fish isn't eating, that won't work. Another issue is that just mixing medications into the food won't work - you need to have a correct dose. For metronidazole, the dose is 0.50 % by food weight.

If this isn't Uronema, it may be a bacterial infection. Gram negative antibiotics (like Neoplex) would be the best course of action. This should be done in a quarantine tank.

Jay
I've had the coris for a little over a year. i've noticed a small red spot on his body in the past, but this is definitely the worst.
Should I add some established water to the QT tank im going to setup? I can also put a piece of my bioblock to help add some bacteria.
This appears bacterial than uronema which these guys rarely acquire. I would recommend moving fish to a quarantine setting and treating with either seachem kanaplex or Maracyn 2 with increased aeration via air stone. IF fish is eating, you can utilize the metrozanidole but assure you are not over medicating but do not use metro as a sole treatment. Get one of the antibiotics mentioned.
If no quarantine tank, a starter kit at walmart has most of the essentials needed to start one.
Assure good water quality in display and QT tank as elevated ammonia and nitrate can contribute to this
Do NOT Treat in acclimation box as you are in essence treating entire tank

Similar question as above for you. Can I start a brand new QT tank with freshly mixed salt water, or should I use some established water as well? I can also put a chunk of bioblock in the Qt to add some bacteria.

Gonna look into grabbing a starter kit asap. Thanks for the recommendation.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water from an established tank has very little beneficial bacteria in it, bioblocks are a better choice.

This is less likely to be Uronema, based on how long you have had the fish, so I would consider that the issue is more likely bacterial.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had the coris for a little over a year. i've noticed a small red spot on his body in the past, but this is definitely the worst.
Should I add some established water to the QT tank im going to setup? I can also put a piece of my bioblock to help add some bacteria.

Similar question as above for you. Can I start a brand new QT tank with freshly mixed salt water, or should I use some established water as well? I can also put a chunk of bioblock in the Qt to add some bacteria.

Gonna look into grabbing a starter kit asap. Thanks for the recommendation.
Bio Block yes and New sea water - Yes

OP
OP
SpunCoral

SpunCoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water from an established tank has very little beneficial bacteria in it, bioblocks are a better choice.

This is less likely to be Uronema, based on how long you have had the fish, so I would consider that the issue is more likely bacterial.

Jay
Bio Block yes and New sea water - Yes
Thank you both. Getting this QT setup now.
Any idea what might cause a bacterial infection? assuming this is the issue?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both. Getting this QT setup now.
Any idea what might cause a bacterial infection? assuming this is the issue?

Most external bacterial issues with fish arise from an injury. There are other problems that can crop up, but they are more often internal.

Jay

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back