Yellow elegance dull in color?

LeleganceCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow elegance coral has slowly been dulling in color, and its healthy?

Here are some photos, i have changed the light from a 30 to a 50 watt, some nano reef led to a RedSea reef led 50, but it has been like this ever since i got it. Now its good to mention that it was doing very poorly due to 1500 magnesium but has been fine the last 2-3 months and no coloration improvement. Any ideas? Thanks!

IMG_2750.png IMG_2751.png

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Upvote 0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Corals can take a long time to regain color lost during stress events. Did it primarily lose its color when your magnesium was high?

Corals also react to different spectrums and it could have been cause by the change in lights.

Upvote 0

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board. hello from PA!

what are your tank parameters? how old/new is the tank?

tank seems fairly new which could point to difficulty acclimating for the elegance. considering the lights were also changed, it could be stressed due to that.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My yellow elegance coral has slowly been dulling in color, and its healthy?

Here are some photos, i have changed the light from a 30 to a 50 watt, some nano reef led to a RedSea reef led 50, but it has been like this ever since i got it. Now its good to mention that it was doing very poorly due to 1500 magnesium but has been fine the last 2-3 months and no coloration improvement. Any ideas? Thanks!

IMG_2750.png IMG_2751.png
I have a big boy
Assure adequate lighting as they are photosynthetic and need to produce inner algae
Medium flow and feed chopped krill and shrimp
Add aminos occasionally
Any change in lighting recently ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LeleganceCoral

LeleganceCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Corals can take a long time to regain color lost during stress events. Did it primarily lose its color when your magnesium was high?

Corals also react to different spectrums and it could have been cause by the change in lights.
It happened when to coral was starting to open up again after being constantly closed for the past couple weeks. I only noticed it after it being closed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LeleganceCoral

LeleganceCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a big boy
Assure adequate lighting as they are photosynthetic and need to produce inner algae
Medium flow and feed chopped krill and shrimp
Add aminos occasionally
Any change in lighting recently ?
Changed the light about a month ago and the coral has been dulled since it opened after recovering. i dose amino acids daily and feed the coral about half a cube of brine shrimp every 5-7 days. Has medium flow, and opens up just fine, and eats just fine too, i will see what the par is with a par checker from my lfs, but the light is a RedSea Reef LED 50 at 40 blue and 20 whites.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
LeleganceCoral

LeleganceCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome aboard the r2r board. hello from PA!

what are your tank parameters? how old/new is the tank?

tank seems fairly new which could point to difficulty acclimating for the elegance. considering the lights were also changed, it could be stressed due to that.
The tank is around a year old and all coral have been happy exept the elegance during high magnesium. Before that the elegance was very happy and eating well too. When i changed the light the only thing i noticed was a bit more extension and coloration but colors have not improved since.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Changed the light about a month ago and the coral has been dulled since it opened after recovering. i dose amino acids daily and feed the coral about half a cube of brine shrimp every 5-7 days. Has medium flow, and opens up just fine, and eats just fine too, i will see what the par is with a par checker from my lfs, but the light is a RedSea Reef LED 50 at 40 blue and 20 whites.
As suspected, light may be playing a role. I would look into PAR although these coral do fine in PAR as low as 80, preferably 120

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back