Yellow Eye Kole Tang Skin Issues

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Purchased this yellow eye kole tang a couple days ago. No signs of stress/distress and eating well. He's in a 6-ft long, 150-gallon tank with some rocks, RTBA, and a few soft corals, as well as a blue hippo tang, two clownfish, a sand sifting goby, and a flame shrimp. Wondering if he's scratched himself on the rocks, as he was shy/hiding the first day we got him. However, the second day, he has seemed to enjoy the tank, eating/grazing on algae often and swimming about.

When checking on the fish this morning, I noticed the skin looked splotchy on one side of the kole tang and seems to be getting slightly worse over the course of the day (see the tail-half of the fish in the photo). In the process of setting up a QT now, but could use some advice/guidance, since I've have not encountered this issue before.

Checked out other threads, but didn't find one that had similar symptoms. Other threads seem to be dealing with a bacteria that caused discoloration. This skin issue does not appear discolored, but a lighter color of the skin.

WhatsApp Image 2020-08-17 at 7.41.27 PM.jpeg

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lighter color of the skin can be considered discolored. It is hard to see in the photo but bacterial infections in kole tangs that cause these types of lesions appear to be quite common. I believe they are, at least in part, stress related. If it was me, I'd move him to a Q-tank and treat with an antibiotic (like kanamycin). If you don't have a Q-tank, but can catch him, an hour bath every day might be a second choice.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good picture.
Its just on the one side?
My gut says he is scratching or flashing himself on the rock or sandbed.

Could be a parasite itch that will show up more here in the next few days.

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Dr. Jim

Thanks so much. Fixing to drop into a QT tank with Copper, any issue with this? Also, can I mix kanamycin with Fritz Coppersafe?

@K7BMG - Looks to have 'spread' to the other side. I was able to net him and his 'skin' was flaking off.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, I hope this is not a case of VELVET.
This fish and your others may be in serious jeopardy if it is.
Keep an extremely close eye on the other fish.
@Jay Hemdal

Might want to send Jay a PM.

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A lighter color of the skin can be considered discolored. It is hard to see in the photo but bacterial infections in kole tangs that cause these types of lesions appear to be quite common. I believe they are, at least in part, stress related. If it was me, I'd move him to a Q-tank and treat with an antibiotic (like kanamycin). If you don't have a Q-tank, but can catch him, an hour bath every day might be a second choice.

@Dr. Jim I picked up whatever I could find at my local Petco (only real option)

Any use in adding Fritz Maracyn Oxy (4.3% Sodium Chorite) or API' Melafix, or should I just get ahold of some kanamycin? (Basically, would you advice using what I have on hand vs waiting a few days for the kanamycin )

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the active ingredients in those two medications? I couldn't find them listed after a quick search, but it seems like the Maracyn Oxy is more for fungi which I think would be unlikely. If the melafix is an antibiotic (other than erythromycin or tetracycline), maybe it is OK. A better photo would be the most help though.

Does it look like this (which is bacteria):
Kole R.jpg

When you say the skin is flaking, that makes me think of Brooklynella, but that is pretty rare, especially compared to the bacterial infections like in the photo above.

As far a mixing the two in the same tank: not the best thing to do. Not sure what kind of interactions the drugs will have. And, it is better to make the right diagnosis so you don't give an unnecessary drug that may stress the fish more. (But I understand .....sometimes you have to take a "shotgun" approach when not sure).
The common parasites won't cause lesions like what I am showing in the photo so no need for copper if that's what it looks like.

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Dr. Jim (I cant thank you enough for your input!)

Here is a cropped photo (Maybe its slightly higher quality?). When I did some research, it seems like there are cases like what you posted, appears to be a change in color, less of a fading/'peeling' of the skin? Mine appears like its shedding/a sun burn peeling? I will try to get a better photo tomorrow, ive already moved it into a QT and turn the light off.

At least as of now, the good(?) news is he is acting normal. Swiming around the QT etc. The problem seems to come on VERY quickly (as I mentioned, when i looked this morning, its was 'splotchy' to peeling within a few hours. And is affecting both sides of the fish)

1597714070300.png

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was able to expand photo and this is no doubt a bacterial and fungal issue and associated with Water quality.
Fungus is opportunistic and given the chance, it will invade most organic material - live tissue.
If you maintain healthy aquarium fish you shouldn’t have a problem, as the mucus layer on their skin will prevent the spores from infecting its living tissue.
What is your salinity and tank temperature?
What is ammonia and nitrate readings?
Is this by chance a new Tank?

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@vetteguy53081

What is your salinity and tank temperature? - 35ppt/78 degrees

What is ammonia and nitrate readings? - According to a Tetra 'Easy Strip' Nirate are well below safe, and according on the Ammonia badge, its safe as well.

Is this by chance a new Tank? - No, moved into this tank about 3+ months ago (the sand/rock etc is going on a year old, albeit with a few tank moves/upgrades)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@vetteguy53081

What is your salinity and tank temperature? - 35ppt/78 degrees

What is ammonia and nitrate readings? - According to a Tetra 'Easy Strip' Nirate are well below safe, and according on the Ammonia badge, its safe as well.

Is this by chance a new Tank? - No, moved into this tank about 3+ months ago (the sand/rock etc is going on a year old, albeit with a few tank moves/upgrades)
Easy strip ?

Please if you get a chance, take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test water for you and get readings for comparison.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see in the expanded photo that there is a ridge-like thickening around the area which is a little strange but I would still lean toward a bacteria. Fungi generally cause a cotton-like growth, and frankly, I've never seen a fungus on a marine fish, unlike with freshwater fish where fungi are very common, but I can't definitely rule that out. If this truly appeared suddenly, I don't know how likely that 2 different organisms (bacteria and fungi) would invade at the same time. (Fungi might more likely invade later, as an opportunist). And, I don't know of any parasite that would cause a lesion like that.

FWIW, I've been treating fish for many years as a vet.... certainly not an expert, but I've got some experience. If I had it in front of me I would do a skin scraping and look at it under a microscope....but that's not going to help you. (Not sure if it is worth it to you to call vets in your area).

As I asked....if you write the ingredients of the medications you have, I can try to recommend which one to use. If that is all you have, then yes, you need to try something (while perhaps waiting for a better medicine to arrive, depending on what you have now)

You probably know that antibiotics in a tank may wipe out the bacteria in your filter so I always check daily for nitrites (and ammonia).

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Dr. Jim

The QT Tank is not running any bio filter

As for meds on hand I have three

Fritz "Maracyn Oxy" which is just Sodium Chloride @ 4.3%
API MelaFix which is Melaleuca oil
Fritz CopperSafe

This is all the local Petco had in stock.

Arriving Friday (hopefully he makes it until then) I have the following arriving (based on a thread I read here on R2R)

Furan-2 - containing active ingredients nitrofurazone + furazolidone + methylene blue
(The following where all in a pack)
Metroplex - metronidazole
Kanaplex - Contains kanamycin sulfate, potassium sulfate
Focus - Polymer bound nitrofurantoin

Garlic Guard

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry that I don't have experience with the 2 meds you have now (other than copper). Since you don't have a biofilter, you may need to resort to just bathes (for an hour or two per day) but that means catching the fish every day.....not sure how hard that will be. When you do catch him, perhaps you could also put something topical on the wound: an iodine compound, like betadyne from a drugstore (diluted properly and poured over the wound), or even an antibiotic ointment dabbed on the wound). (I'd use saltwater to dilute).
For now, I would just choose one of the two meds (other than copper) to bathe him in. I would use a bucket with perhaps 2 gallons of water, aerated, with heat (I usually put the bucket on a heating pad).....for an hour or two a day. If either of the products has directions for a "bathe" then I would use that one. If not, I might increase the dose a little because generally short-term bathes with medications use higher (perhaps 5x) the dosage as a "continuous" treatment.....but, again, I'm not familiar with those 2 products.

Hope he makes it till Friday. I would bathe in kanamycin. It's debatable whether rotating bathes with 2 different meds would be a good idea, like every 12 hours or twice a day, but if so, its a toss-up between metro and nitrofurazone. Are you intending to put any in the main tank? (Do you have corals?)

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Dr. Jim

Thanks for all the help, he didn't make it through the night. While not in saltwater, ive been keeping fish of some type for going on 10 years, and I have never seen something develop so quickly.

Lessons learned

Support LFSs that preemptively QT
QT on your own as well
Have Meds on Hand

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh.... sorry to hear that. That was good of you to make the strong effort that you put into this, though.

I am a strong believer in quarantining most all fish (exceptions/modifications for some fish like Copperbands, mandarins) AND treating them for ALL possible parasites (external and internal). I had a pet shop in my vet hospital for 20 years where I would do this for my clients/customers. A simple formula that I found successful: Praziquantel for 5 days followed by 3 weeks of copper. (This may need to be reversed if signs of external protozoa appear before the 5 days of Prazi are up). Levamisole in food for 3 days: repeat 1 week later (for intestinal worms). Metronidazole in food for 5 days (at same time as Prazi for intestinal and external protozoa).

I would use 30 gal tanks with standpipe dropping to 15 gal tank with plastic bioballs. Also with a UV sterilizer. Bare-bottom with pvc pipes for hiding. Good nutrition (home-made concoction.) Check alkalinity DAILY because it can suddenly drop with this bare set-up. Problem is keeping the biofilter active before and/or after batches of fish. (That's another story).

OP
OP
W

Woogi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Dr. Jim

One more thing, one of my other fish MAY have caught it as well (Blue Tang has develop 4-6 white bumps near her tail, looks like ich maybe as well)

I am now slightly more prepared and first thing in the AM the Blue Tang, as well as two clowns, and a sand sifting goby will be going into the the QT (its been sterilized since losing the Yellow Eye this morning)

My plan is to dose Kanaplex (kanamycin) and Furan-2 (Found these at a LFS). Can I ALSO dose the Coppersafe @ the same time?

Also, Furan-2 instructions say

For each 10 gallons of water, empty one packet directly into aquarium. Repeat dose after 24 hours. Wait another 24 hours then change 25% of the aquarium water. Repeat this treatment for a second time, for a total of 4 doses.

The way I read this, I can immediately add dose number 3 after I complete my 25% water change?

Again, thanks for all of your help and advice!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back