Yellow eye tang

dromo2189

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I got my yellow eye tang recently and I just notice that his one fin seems to be a bit beat up. Can this be from him going in all the tight spaces? When he doesn't see me all he seems to do is swim around. And he seems to be eating okay
IMG_0305.JPG
0eb5f84f138616272a04e201accddf58.jpg

donnievaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He could have banged it up on the rocks but more concerning is the fact that it looks like it has ich from the picture.

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that doesnt look good, pictures are a bit blurry but it doesnt look good, however its really good he's eating.
I'd keep an eye on him and the other inhabitants of the tank, be ready for treatment as that doesn't look good.

Look what happened to my YT about two weeks ago... came home to see this painful looking problem.

upload_2017-3-13_15-36-36.png

The guy has been eating well and I increased feedings along with lots of seaweed, garlic and selcon... and two weeks later the skin grew back, still a bit discolored but its all covered back up... I was sure he was a goner, which would have sucked...

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish's immune systems can do amazing things if you let them . . .

I've seen fish torn up pretty badly by sharks, who go on to heal very well indeed. Scars fade in weeks, and in a couple of months you'd never guess how bad the original injury appeared!

~Bruce

Ginu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curios what happened ... I have a purple with the YT and i know they can fight, however they been together for almost 3 years and are buddies...they swim together all day long...
Maybe they had a disagreement, however the YT is much larger than 3 years ago...
I had the purple for about 6 years now in a 120g then cut down on size so I setup a 93g cube and the YT was introduced first (3 years go roughly). After the YT settled as the boss of the tank, I divided the tank and introduced the Purple in half of the tank where they sat and saw each-other for some time... Then I removed the divider at night and they have been friends ever since... The damage does not look like it came from another tang so I'm still puzzled what caused that kind of damage...

Nickk2017

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi
Hello so I have had a yellow eye kole tang for around a week now, he is swimming like crazy and is loving the tank. It is a 60 gallon, 48 inches long.

I can not get him to eat mysis or brine shrimp. All he does is pick the algae wherever he can find it, which obviously I like. But I am wondering does he need to eat mysis or brine shrimp? if so, how can I get him to eat it. Also, he will not eat the algae strips I put in the tank either, just the other algae in the tank.

I have 2 clownfish, a sixline wrasse and 3 blue reef chromis in there with him. They all eat a ton but he won't eat anything besides random algae spots.

Any suggestions?

thanks

Expressive Therapy For Depression

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nickk2017,

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hopefully, the kole will notice the other fish snacking on your offerings, and begin to eat - one of the benefits of quarantining fish is giving them time to adjust to conditions in a human world, including the food we're offering.

Have you tried rubber-banding the nori / algae strips to a rock, rather than clipping them? You could even make a "burrito" by wrapping frozen food inside the seaweed.

~Bruce

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Nickk2017,

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Hopefully, the kole will notice the other fish snacking on your offerings, and begin to eat - one of the benefits of quarantining fish is giving them time to adjust to conditions in a human world, including the food we're offering.

Have you tried rubber-banding the nori / algae strips to a rock, rather than clipping them? You could even make a "burrito" by wrapping frozen food inside the seaweed.

~Bruce

+1. Took the words right out of my mouth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back