Yellow Goby Nipping my coral :/

OGFrenchHorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think ...... Hope Iv got him trapped in a hole in the rock lol now just Gotta work out how to get him out .... Rock is stuck with reef putty but might just snap it off and take it out ..... Knowing my luck he's not even still in there lol

image.jpeg

I had the same problem a few years ago. I knew the hole it slept in so i went after him with the wet vac at night. Got him with out hurting him.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't get him must be a little hole in that rock :mad:
I don't think a fish trap will get him as well as iv never seen him eat any food thats put in the tank ....he's to wrapped up in nipping my corals

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should just get a trigger lol
Joking

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one that once comfortable, ate nearly all my lps coral, then one day it decided to take on an acAn, the acan ate it.

I had one that kept nipping my Duncan but I thought he was a mutant because I had only heard about them nipping SPS. He would nip at the Duncan until it retracted all the way and then perch on top of it. Needless to say, he was only in my tank for a week before I took him back.

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pico is packed with corals but zero sps and ive never seen him peck at any corals.

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get this fish in Red Sea 350 that's packed with rocks and coral ,this is not gonna be easy :(

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to get this fish in Red Sea 350 that's packed with rocks and coral ,this is not gonna be easy :(

Nope! I have a 180, honestly got lucky after chasing him for two weeks. I was just chasing him around the tank with my net and he ****** up and swam into it. It was the single most frustrating thing I've had to deal with in a while. I tried everything. I was just ticked and kept chasing him. If he swam in a hole I just kept poking it with a stick until he swam out, and kept chasing him.

Your best bet is the get him near the glass or a corner. If you get him away from the rock just swoop him up quick. I tried using a super bright light a night to blind him too, that kind of worked but still got away.

I hate that dang fish lol.

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I used a 1 inch hose to suck him into a bucket. Quietly started a siphon on it, pinched it off and waited for him to show in his favorite spot. Took less than an hour but it was pretty messy. A hose that big moves water fast!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the same issue before so I sucked a goby pair out with a rubber hose and into a bucket and gave them away. :)

Vincent100

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't get him
This fish is mocking me I'm sure
I chase him about he hides in the rocks were I can't see him , I than give up sit down look at the tank and he's back out nipping ... He's started on a acan frag now

Also before I knew these fish were nippers I got a green slimer frag ,it lasted a week ... At the time I thought it was just a bad frag but thinking about it he used to sit on it the whole time it was in the tank
I now know what happened to that

IV GOTTA GET THIS FISH OUT
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

bif24701

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't get him
I chase him about he hides in the rocks were I can't see him , I than give up sit down look at the tank and he's back out nipping ... He's started on a acan frag now

Also before I knew these fish were nippers I got a green slimer frag ,it lasted a week ... At the time I thought it was just a bad frag but thinking about it he used to sit on it the whole time it was in the tank

Sorry for your troubles man. Thing really ticked me off, keep trying!

Tori

ReefMoore 103
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still can't get him

Sorry to hear, man that sucks. Have you tried catching him when he's sleeping, before the tank lights come on? Maybe wait til it's pitch black and just use a dim red light so you can see him without waking him.

gobylove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, i tried starting sps with a few frags and my yellow clown goby loved almost all of them to death. i thought my ora bird of paradise was safe and thriving until i recently added a black clown goby, who is now loving that to death. i love the gobies so it will be pretty much ricordea only.

OP
OP
vinnyvin

vinnyvin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem like the little buggers are hard to catch. I'm sure u will catch him only a matter of time patience pays off.

Since I posted this I'm not seen anymore nipping on euphyllia but iv notice he has now taken home in my xenia, he has not budged from their can only see him when he decides to sit on the out skirts under the growth. I don't mind if he wants to nip the xenia as I'm gonna have to cut that back soon anyway.
Yeah
I love this little guy he got character. Will be a shame to see him at it again because I don't want to get rid of him but if it's him or my corals, sorry fella you have to go.

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 1" clear hard plastic tube about 1 1/2' long. Feed food or pellets through the tube to the fish for about a week. After that use a small (5 gallon) wet shop vacuum cleaner. Put the 1" clear tube on the end of the hose. The fish will come to the tube to eat... then hit the switch.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 220 and have never seen it nip at my sps. He lives with my large acro colonies, so if he does nip, I don't notice it. I think if its fed well you'll be okay. My favorite little fish in such a large tank. Good luck.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back