Yellow Mimic Tang and Pair of Flame Angels

rob G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have made a mistake. I have had an existing pair of flame angels for the past three years now. I am splitting all my old tanks inhabitants from my 360 to two 120 gallon tanks. One tank will have the two flames, a group of fairy wrasse (a few are in Qt now) and my plan was to add a yellow mimic tank to this tank as well. The mimic arrived today and is only a little larger than my flame angels, the mimic is in a separate (from the wrasse) QT tank right now. Not even thinking about it, this is a MIMIC tang, looks just like a lemon peel or yellow angel. Is this not going to work with my flame angels? any one have experience? My only thought is to remove the rock I have in there long enough to catch the flames and move them to the other 120 I have. I do not want to attempt to the put the mimic tang in the other 120 as there is already a tang in there who has been quite aggressive to even non tang additions. I also think I will wait to get the rest of my fairy wrasse fish into and out of QT and add them all to the display at once, although not ideal for the bioload adding 7 fish at once, I don't mind stepping up my game on a few 20% water changes a week if need be until all settles in. Any suggestions, or long post short......has anyone had good luck with mimic tangs and flames?

thank you!

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Mimic Tang, he doesn't chase a thing. Don't see any aggression out of him. Unless your worried that the Flames will attack him, that one I don't know. Rearrange the tank, that'll mess up the whole group.

OP
OP
rob G

rob G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Mimic Tang, he doesn't chase a thing. Don't see any aggression out of him. Unless your worried that the Flames will attack him, that one I don't know. Rearrange the tank, that'll mess up the whole group.
Thank you for your reply, the tang is pretty small so I am more worried about the angels attacking the tang. I guess I could just try and see how it goes, ad the tang at lights out and watch closely during the day. I suppose either option if it doesnt work has me rearranging rock....fingers crossed, hoping it works....thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After qt put the tang in a large social acclimation box for a couple of days. This often helps cut back on aggression.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back