Yellow porrites branching coral

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have good luck with stylos and monti digi so thought I would try a yellow porrites frag. I have it top middle of the tank so it gets like 300 to 325 par and solid flow.

Is there any tricks to encourage more yellow out of it? I know white light makes them appear more yellow but any tricks of the trade to consider? It's healthy and kind of a beige very light yellow now. I'm sure it's still adjusting from shipping in cold weather.

Any suggestions appreciated.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special just the common focus on good and steady parameters and patience for the coral to acclimate and start groovin!
Does that coral have thin or thick branches? I’m not sure that I have seen a yellow porieties.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Porites can be hardy or just uncooperative. Hope they do well

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing special just the common focus on good and steady parameters and patience for the coral to acclimate and start groovin!
Does that coral have thin or thick branches? I’m not sure that I have seen a yellow porieties.
Thick, very similar shape to a stylo.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are supposed to be a very hardy SPS coral so hopefully it will like the environment and flourish.
I have had one that hitchhiked on another coral many years now but it tends to encrust and form circle plates, I’ve never had good luck with the “stylo-form” growers. I have to agree with with @vetteguy53081, fussy but stubbornly durable if you get a good one. Mine has survived a lot of algae and bug pest assaults and has rebounded three or more times under my sloppy conditions.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back