Yellow tang aggressive towards kole eyed tang

Ashleyandteddythefishbros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g tank with a pair of cardinals, pair of clowns, peacock wrasse, yellow tang around 12cm and a recently added kole eyed tang about 4cm.
I added in the new tang and the yellow tang has been going after it ever since. It's been in there for 24 hours and the yellow tang won't stop going after it.the kole is alright but this has to stop otherwise its 90$ to waste. I nee help

landshark777

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g tank with a pair of cardinals, pair of clowns, peacock wrasse, yellow tang around 12cm and a recently added kole eyed tang about 4cm.
I added in the new tang and the yellow tang has been going after it ever since. It's been in there for 24 hours and the yellow tang won't stop going after it.the kole is alright but this has to stop otherwise its 90$ to waste. I nee help
I had a problem with my Tang picking on my Coral Beauty.I put the tang in quarantine for two days and now they are best buds.I also changed my landscape before I put the tang back in.

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should always add the kole before the yellow. now let's get past it. Like the above poster said you can black out the tank. Another option is to hold a mirror up against the tank. Hopefully the yellow will take his aggression on that. Hi res pictures can work too. Another option is moving the yellow down to your sump or a q tank for a few days and re introduce him.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Typical of yellow tangs. cancel white lights for today. You can place a mirror where the yellow usually hangs out. It will thinks there is another yellow and divert its attention to the imaginary yellow tang.
Attaching nori seaweed also will keep tang busy. This behavior generally last 2-3 days.

Final recourse would be to place the tang in the sump for 48hrs as a " time out "

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get 2 seaweed clips and always have them on opposite sides of the tank with nori on them at all times. Also if you can get an good sized acclimation box catch the yellow and put it in. Keep it in there for a week to allow the kole to settle down and de-stress. It’s likely that the yellow sensed that the new kole tang was stressed from the new environment and it provoked it to attack. But the seaweed clip idea always works the best for me, tangs care about food more than they do about each other.

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others mentioned a mirror works. I would also change, and or add rock work around. Make the Yellow Tang find a new hiding/sleeping space. Keep him busy doing that.

bam123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallons with a yellow tang and a similar shaped tang will be a fight. I'd sell the yellow tang for 500 dollars and get a foxface:))

Rain 625XXL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with my yellow tang where all other tangs got constantly harrased when they were introduced to the tank. Eventhough the aggression was very high in the first few hours, after day or so they were all eating together right next to each other.

My yellow tang wanted to kill my blue tang when it was first introduced. Blue tang is also much smaller than the yellow which made things worse. Then I decided to dump a bunch of frozen mysis shrimps in the tank and then it only focused its attention on eating food and by the time they finished eating, yellow tang had already forgotten about its new tank mates. But my tank is a 165G so there is a bit of room for them to hide which may have helped.

JXNATC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just noticed the opposite issue. I've had the Yellow Eye Kole Tang in there for two weeks with some Chromis. I added the other tangs today and he's bullying everybody despite being smaller than all but one.

Back