Yellow tang blind and disease?

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard of ich and all I know is white spots but couldn't that be velvet too I heard they are confused but haven't seen a picture of either but anyways I went out of town for a few days and I had everything prepared the lights on timer and had food ready and some nori on clips but I come back and the light timer apparently broke I don't know how long it was off I was gone for 2 days but the food hasn't been eaten but my clown and yellow tang were perfect when I left now the clown is still perfectly fine but my yellow tang seems to be running into everything but his eyes aren't cloudy so I don't know if he is blind or what but he used to hide for a second if he saw me walk in the room but now he just swims until he hits something he doesn't try to hide. he has a few very small spots on his fins and some of his body... I will try to get pics but right now he is staying in a rock. He probably being really stressed right now too if he can't see so that probably isn't helping...
IMG_0475.JPG
IMG_0477.JPG
IMG_0478.JPG

Also his face look different... but please someone help! I have shrimp and snails and crabs and stuff like that if that matters for medications... thanks!

IMG_0477.JPG

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/286639/
Here's a link to an instructional for freshwater dips. Keep us posted.

Thanks so much!!! How much time do I have? I am in high school I have to go to school tomorrow and it's midnight and my parents will get mad at me if I stay up any longer tonight will I be able to do it tomorrow night? I don't want to not do it and he die or something like now but I don't want to do it tomorrow morning then leave for school and not know what's happening so can I do it tomorrow night?

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so it looks like he shed his skin because there is a piece of something on the rock that looks like skin but it has dots all over it and the tang looks more yellow but still has some spots on him i as still going to do the dip tonight but is this normal?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so it looks like he shed his skin because there is a piece of something on the rock that looks like skin but it has dots all over it and the tang looks more yellow but still has some spots on him i as still going to do the dip tonight but is this normal?

It isn't likely that he shed his skin. The dots are pretty small to be ick, but it's possible. The freshwater dip is useful no matter what..... it will rule out/confirm flukes, and flush out his gills buying you time if it's not flukes.

How long have the dots been there?
How long have you had these fish?
Were they QT'd?
What was the last wet thing added to the tank and when?
Any physical symptoms?
Flashing or scratching against rocks or sand?
Heavy breathing?
swimming into the flow of a powerhead or return?
hiding excessively when the lights are on?

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I did the freshwater dip he was in there for 5 minutes and he was very hard to catch... I had to remove rocks to catch him... I stirred around sand doing so but caught him and got him in the bucket (btw the ph's seemed good) but anyways I put the rocks back but they are a mess now. I turned off the lights because he was extremely stressed from being chased with a net and put into freshwater but when I saw him last he was breathing really heavily but he went and hid in the rocks I can't see him now... there was white stuff in the bottom of the freshwater but I couldn't tell if it was flukes or the some sand or a mixture of both but that's what I saw in the freshwater I dipped him in after... anything else? I haven't done this before is this a good sign or did something go horribly wrong I can't tell...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I did the freshwater dip he was in there for 5 minutes and he was very hard to catch... I had to remove rocks to catch him... I stirred around sand doing so but caught him and got him in the bucket (btw the ph's seemed good) but anyways I put the rocks back but they are a mess now. I turned off the lights because he was extremely stressed from being chased with a net and put into freshwater but when I saw him last he was breathing really heavily but he went and hid in the rocks I can't see him now... there was white stuff in the bottom of the freshwater but I couldn't tell if it was flukes or the some sand or a mixture of both but that's what I saw in the freshwater I dipped him in after... anything else? I haven't done this before is this a good sign or did something go horribly wrong I can't tell...

Did you see anything like what's in this video? if so, then we tested positive for flukes. Did you place him into a QT after the dip? They all need to go into the QT for treatment and the display left fallow regardless of what the dip showed.

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see anything like what's in this video? if so, then we tested positive for flukes. Did you place him into a QT after the dip? They all need to go into the QT for treatment and the display left fallow regardless of what the dip showed.

I saw what I thought was bigger grains of sand within the smaller grains... but it could've been flukes... I didn't see anything fly off but I didn't have a clear container so I couldn't see them very well if they were flying around like that but I'm not sure if it was bigger grains of sand or flukes but the fish acted the same... and also I didn't put them in a QT yet... i am going to my dads house tomorrow and don't have a QT bigger than a 10 gallon and my mom doesn't know anything other than how to feed the fish while I'm gone so I didn't want to spring all that on her right before I left... what can I do?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what can I do?

I guess your only choice is to wait until you get back to quarantine them. Hopefully you won't be gone long and the fish survive until you get back and can help them. I'm sorry, but if they have velvet then you may have a mess on your hands when you get back to them. :( I sincerely hope not.

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess your only choice is to wait until you get back to quarantine them. Hopefully you won't be gone long and the fish survive until you get back and can help them. I'm sorry, but if they have velvet then you may have a mess on your hands when you get back to them. :( I sincerely hope not.

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]I hope they do alright... what medications can treat velvet? (Just in case I need to know) also, will I know in the morning if it's 100% not flukes if they are still there or could they re get on the fish by then? Thanks for the help again!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^ is the protocol you will need to follow.

[emoji24][emoji24][emoji24]I hope they do alright... what medications can treat velvet? (Just in case I need to know) also, will I know in the morning if it's 100% not flukes if they are still there or could they re get on the fish by then? Thanks for the help again!

You are quite welcome, I only wish we could do more to help. I don't think there were flukes on your fish. They are pretty obvious as you can see in the video. They are much larger than sand and most tangs will poop out sand anyway, so it could have been from that or just sand stuck to him from when you netted him out. I hope the FW dip at least bought him time.

OP
OP
W

Wilkerson.reed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the white spots are gone I came to check on him cuz I had a few minutes and I was on my moms side of town but the back of his top fin looks a little ripped and he has an orange line on his tail but all the white spots are gone

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm rather surprised that he made it past the first onslaught. The life cycle of velvet (and ick) means that they only spend a short amount of time on the fish host itself before dropping off to reproduce in a cyst on a hard surface.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back