Yellow Tang Bully?

PWN1N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Today I brought home a beautiful juvenile emperor angel. I'm nervous now though because my yellow tang seems to be cornering him behind some rocks. The tang backs up into him till he has nowhere to go. Is there anything easy that you guys have found to do?

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
Today I brought home a beautiful juvenile emperor angel. I'm nervous now though because my yellow tang seems to be cornering him behind some rocks. The tang backs up into him till he has nowhere to go. Is there anything easy that you guys have found to do?

It's probably just temporary. Some people put a mirror up to the glass to distract him for a day or two. My yellow tang has done the same thing occasionally throughout the years to some new additions. I always just let it play out. No casualties so far...

OP
OP
PWN1N

PWN1N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably just temporary. Some people put a mirror up to the glass to distract him for a day or two. My yellow tang has done the same thing occasionally throughout the years to some new additions. I always just let it play out. No casualties so far...
Thanks buddy I'll see where it goes for the night! Maybe if it's worse tomorrow I'll try the mirror trick out!

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah yellow tangs are simple minded jerks sometimes. If yours is like my tang he should calm down in a day or two. The mirror trick should help as well.

OP
OP
PWN1N

PWN1N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah yellow tangs are simple minded jerks sometimes. If yours is like my tang he should calm down in a day or two. The mirror trick should help as well.
Hopefully he cools down! That emperor is my dream fish haha I can't have him going down lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They’re territorial and jerks with new arrivals but mine have quit their garbage after a day or two

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tang has cooled it. But now it seems my angel is picking at my corals. Is there anything I can do about this?
Emperor will go after all soft and many LPS coral. Hopefully you were aware of this prior to purchase. Angels and Butterflies Unsuitable for mixed reef /LPS tanks. I had a Passer angel devour $400 of coral after bothering nothing for 3 weeks and one day it went to work.

OP
OP
PWN1N

PWN1N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Emperor will go after all soft and many LPS coral. Hopefully you were aware of this prior to purchase. Angels and Butterflies Unsuitable for mixed reef /LPS tanks. I had a Passer angel devour $400 of coral after bothering nothing for 3 weeks and one day it went to work.
Oh god! No I was aware certain angels would but didn't know this guy would. I'm going to keep him in there for awhile and pray then. If not I have a 40 breeder empty I can raise him in for a short time. dang this really is bad news.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason most angels are listed as reef safe with CAUTION. I have found the emperor to be more 'picker' than 'devastator' .... though that does depend upon what corals you keep.

OP
OP
PWN1N

PWN1N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason most angels are listed as reef safe with CAUTION. I have found the emperor to be more 'picker' than 'devastator' .... though that does depend upon what corals you keep.
He definitely picks. I wish he didn't he is my favorite

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, most angels are a gamble with corals. And yellow tangs can sure be territorial with other laterally compressed fish.

What's the tank size, out of curiosity?

OP
OP
PWN1N

PWN1N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a
Yes, most angels are a gamble with corals. And yellow tangs can sure be territorial with other laterally compressed fish.

What's the tank size, out of curiosity?
It's a 93 gallon cube with a 20 gallon sump.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30"x30"x24" high?

I would be surprised if the yellow tang will tolerate, in the long run, another similarly shaped fish.

Emperor angels get really big too, as I'm sure you're aware. Good luck.

OP
OP
PWN1N

PWN1N

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30"x30"x24" high?

I would be surprised if the yellow tang will tolerate, in the long run, another similarly shaped fish.

Emperor angels get really big too, as I'm sure you're aware. Good luck.
Yes 30x30x24. Yea I know they get huge eventually. I will not keep him in this tank when he is to big for it. Might trade him anyways if he eats my coral :( hopefully the tang minds his own seems to be fine now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back