Yellow Tang coloration

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3weeks ago a reefer from a local club who was getting rid of his tank, gave me a Yellow Tang, about 5 or 6 inches in length. Once I put it in my tank I realized that it's body was almost completely white with only it's fins and tail are Yellow. I'm hoping once it settles down in my tank it's color might return. If not is there a bigger problem than I realize? TIA

OP
OP
Wild1

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank
Hi
Just feed with good quality food and it will back to its color
Thank You, that's what I'm kinda hoping

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not discount lighting. I don't know what type of lighting it was kept under, but I am generally of the opinion that strong lighting is needed maintain good coloration on most types of saltwater fish. I have seen colors fade under weak lighting.

OP
OP
Wild1

Wild1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank

Thank You, that's what I'm kinda hoping

I would not discount lighting. I don't know what type of lighting it was kept under, but I am generally of the opinion that strong lighting is needed maintain good coloration on most types of saltwater fish. I have seen colors fade under weak lighting.
Thanx for your input, my tank is mostly LPS, and soft Corals, so my lighting could be an issue, but i have. had other Yellow Tangs before and never had this problem, of course they were already Yellow when i got them. Im using Current Orbit LEDs I know they are not the best but all i could do at the time

Last edited:

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, some things that can impact a fish's coloration (leaving a few irrelevant factors out of the conversation):
-Light (wavelength, intensity, and duration)
-Health
-Diet (including both vitamins, minerals, etc. and pigments like astaxanthin in a fish's diet)
-Various chemicals and hormones
-Genetics

Some things that affect a fish's coloration are immediate (like stress) while others (like lighting and diet) can take much, much longer to make a noticeable difference. It's possible that this tang's coloration is a result of some of those less-immediate factors, so it may take a while for it to change.

For the diet, I'd recommend the following, preferably supplemented with algae (most people use nori, but the more algae/kinds of algae offered to the fish, the better; fresh/frozen is best, but the pellets below are solid brands):
(I apologize, I haven't looked into frozen algae-heavy feeds enough to have one that I would suggest at this point; I'll have to remedy that):
Frozen (Meaty) - LRS Reef Frenzy, Hikari Mega Marine, then Rod's Original.
Pellets (Meaty) - Otohime, then TDO Chromaboost.
Pellets (Algal) - NLS Marine Fish Pellets (has 8 types of algae and one terrestrial plant).
For an example of the difference pigments in a fish's diet can make:
For an example of the difference that lighting can make:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back