Yellow Tang is sick - Is it Ich or Velvet?

JackD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! On March 8th I purchased two ocellaris clowns and a yellow tang from a very reputable store in my state. After about a week following the purchase date I came downstairs to check on my tank as I normally do, only two find my two clowns at the bottom of my tank dead. This confused me as I had fed them the night before and they ate as they also showed no signs of illness or stress. Around this time, my yellow tang developed a puffy (cone shaped) and cloudy eye and very small white dots all over its body (sail and pectoral fins included). My immediate reaction was to quarantine the tang in my 10 gallon QT. I have been treating him with Rid-Ich plus for the past 3-4 days now, and I am seeing little to no improvement. It's still eating but getting skinnier every day.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a proper diagnosis as I am still relatively new to the hobby (8 months). In addition, all of my other fish which I have had for a long time now (Diamondspot Goby and Dartfish) are still doing just fine. I just want to know what I'm doing wrong or what is happening so I can control the situation.

I have attached some photos of the tang to help with a diagnosis.

Thank you,

Jack D

IMG_3500.jpg IMG_3507.PNG

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your description fits velvet. Sorry

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take rid ich and through it in the garbage then dose copper immediately to 2.0ppm, heavy aeration and prayers, good luck!

OP
OP
JackD

JackD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I put all my fish in my QT and have been using copper and strong aeration for the past few days. I’m already seeing great results. I’m letting my main tank cook at 86 degrees to kill the velvet off. I’ve been reading that you should wait at least 4 weeks after you put your fish in your QT (and after they fully recover of course) to let the velvet die out in your main tank before reintroduction. Can someone verify that this information is accurate?

Thank you and I’m glad to be part of such a helpful community!

Jack D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Agree on velvet which is similar to Ich. It covers fish quickly especially if not caught early looking like sugar sprinkles visible mostly on the upper and lower fins. Within days these white dots spread all over the fish’s body, covering it in what looks like dust. Its difficult to see velvet on a light colored fish so focus on fins which show it.
Chloroquine phosphate is the best treatment for velvet, but copper also works if the velvet caught early . If in doubt treat with Chloroquine or copper. FW dipping/hyposalinity does not work with velvet. A freshwater dip and/or chemical bath however is recommended either before or during treatment. Due to the severity of this disease the FW dip will provide temporary relief and will not remove velvet.

Back