Yellow Tang loosing color

Jmblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my Yellow Tang is not as yellow as it used to be, it eats well, mostly frozen mysis shrimp, what am I missing, my water levels & salinity are good my other fish are doing well, any ideas would be appreciated, thank you.
JB

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my Yellow Tang is not as yellow as it used to be, it eats well, mostly frozen mysis shrimp, what am I missing, my water levels & salinity are good my other fish are doing well, any ideas would be appreciated, thank you.
JB
Pics would help.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More varied diet. Go to LFS and get several frozen foods. Feed Nori or get turf scrubber and feed hair algae

OP
OP
Jmblank1

Jmblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_3297.jpg
    IMG_3297.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3298.jpg
    IMG_3298.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3299.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 84
OP
OP
Jmblank1

Jmblank1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like he may be bullied with his torn dorsal fin. Could affect coloration as well.
First step is to get some nori (vegies) I have had him for over a year, before the ban, cost me $39.99 at my LFS, before they ran out, they were going for $149.99, I bought him just in time....

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step is to get some nori (vegies) I have had him for over a year, before the ban, cost me $39.99 at my LFS, before they ran out, they were going for $149.99, I bought him just in time....
I hear you on that one. I have 3 of them that I got for $100 total. Now I don't know what they go for

Captain coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's either stress or diet. Any new tankmates added recently before the change? Any signs of the tang getting beat up? Was the change rapid or gradual? Just because you don't see it happening doesn't mean it's not getting a "blanket party" after the lights go out. If the change was sudden this would be what I suspect first. If this happened over a period of weeks or months I would suspect diet. My tang likes to eat algae that grows in my tank but he also likes to eat TDO-A Chromaboost. This stuff really helps with the color of any fish that likes to eat it. My yellow tang is young but bright yellow. https://reefnutrition.com/collections/tdo

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tank looks like it’s new with no algae growth at all? Yellow tangs are herbivores and spend every waking moment grazing algae on the reef, your tank shouldn’t be any different. I would feed more green, nori or caulerpa if you can find it. NLS max algae pellets, TDO, cool green flakes are more good choices.
Forgive me for sounding harsh, but I would do a little more research on the animals that you keep. We can’t assume that all fish eat mysis, but as mentioned earlier, providing fish with a varied diet is key to long term success. Good luck and give that little guy some greens. If you don’t have an algae fuge, maybe it’s time to grow some food for your fish?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back