yellow tang not doing so well

  • Thread starter Thread starter dmh41532
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dmh41532

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2015
Messages
505
Reaction score
188
Location
Naples, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several months ago, I purchased a small yellow tang. Two days ago, I noticed some red spots, first at the base of a pectoral fin. This morning, I noticed two more red patches, on part of the dorsal and anal fin. It is not eating as well either. All of my other fish are fine. Ammonia, and nitrite are zero, nitrate is less than 5 ppm. Any thoughts?
 
My guess is that it's a bacterial infection - do you have any pics? If it is bacterial, Furan-2 is a great wide spectrum antibiotic. I wouldn't treat your tank with it, but move him to a QT.

How big is the tank he's in? Stress will open fish up to all types of problems.
 
Could be a bacterial infection or just "acclimation stress" due to a recent swing in water parameters (from a WC, for example.)

This site has pics/descriptions of both: Marine Fish Diseases and Parasites
 
No, I didn't have a chance to get some pictures, I can take some this evening. I don't know how I will get it out short of taking everything out. My last water change was a few days before I noticed changes to the tang. I'll admit I've been slacking checking the specific gravity. The only change I can think of it temp swings. I have a metal halide that will over heat the tank if I forget to turn on the fan.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 12.5%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new