Yellow tang not eating

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a small yellow tang and a few anthias a couple of days ago and put them in a quarantine tank. Unfortunately the yellow tang does not seem to want eat. I've put nori on clips, rubberbanded to rocks, soaked in garlic but i'm not sure what to do now. Occasionally he'll take a small piece of mysis or nori that breaks off and floats in the water column but his belly is sinking in. Any tips would be helpful.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get the tang from a LFS? If so, ask them what it was eating while they had it. Could be that it just doesn’t recognize nori as food yet.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last batch of yellows that hit mainland came in rough and skinny. Your not the only one with this issue. Dont know if it’s internal parasites or they just weren’t handled well. I suspect given the looming collection ban people are collecting yellows as quickly as possible to make a buck before the party stops and are taking some short cuts in handling

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently got two tangs and they were/are skittish. I clipped nori to the glass and they nibbled but not really tearing into it, I released some in small pieces into the tank and both tangs went crazy for the pieces. Not sure if it will work for you, but it's worth a shot.

OP
OP
Dorado

Dorado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. Good news/bad new; the tang has started eating and his belly is filling out a little bit, but now he is scratching his gills. I'm 2 days into the first cycle of prazipro/ metroplex, should I abandon that I start the copper power or will he be alright for until i complete the cycle. There are no visible signs of ich yet

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the help. Good news/bad new; the tang has started eating and his belly is filling out a little bit, but now he is scratching his gills. I'm 2 days into the first cycle of prazipro/ metroplex, should I abandon that I start the copper power or will he be alright for until i complete the cycle. There are no visible signs of ich yet
The important thing is that he's eating. One problem at a time, next is the treatment.
Good luck!!!

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you see ich on the fish i would not start adding copper. Seems people instantly jump to meds as a cure all even if the fish is not really showing signs of disease. Just chill out and observe. Most fish as long as they have prestine water and are well fed there immune system takes care of problems naturally without meds. I dont quarantine and all my fish are strong and healthy and have never been subjected to any types of meds. I just let them build up there immune system naturally and 99% of the time they are fine and healthy and better for it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back