Yellow tang unidentifiable disease

frano3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. My yellow tang breathes quickly, he has stopped eating (sometimes he eats something frozen with garlic extract), his mouth is open although he moves it often, he swims slowly hesitantly and almost always low. He is 12 years old. I don't notice any surface changes on it. For a month, his condition did not change.
Other fish are fine. I struggle with cyanobacteria, but RO was lab tested as satisfactory. The skimmer is always on (deltec 1000), medium AL99, ceramic ring and I use the triton method.
I do water changes every 2 weeks (60l per 400l tank). My KH is a low 7.3; No3 0.5ppm; PO4 0.03ppm; salinity 1.025; temp. 77°F (25°C)

video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nLeJEG639qyuDAM29
(yesterday i clean sand and he have sand on his surface)

Thanks for help
Snímka obrazovky_20230128_200858.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello. My yellow tang breathes quickly, he has stopped eating (sometimes he eats something frozen with garlic extract), his mouth is open although he moves it often, he swims slowly hesitantly and almost always low. He is 12 years old. I don't notice any surface changes on it. For a month, his condition did not change.
Other fish are fine. I struggle with cyanobacteria, but RO was lab tested as satisfactory. The skimmer is always on (deltec 1000), medium AL99, ceramic ring and I use the triton method.
I do water changes every 2 weeks (60l per 400l tank). My KH is a low 7.3; No3 0.5ppm; PO4 0.03ppm; salinity 1.025; temp. 77°F (25°C)

video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/nLeJEG639qyuDAM29
(yesterday i clean sand and he have sand on his surface)

Thanks for help
Snímka obrazovky_20230128_200858.png
That red looks like hemorrhaging/bruising and often from vitamin deficiencies or bacterial but im also concerned about the gill are. What food are you feeding ?
What is current ammonia and Nitrate levels?

Recommendation is quarantining and treating with seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex and assuring both Good water quality and diet high in aminos. Monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit and increase oxygen with use of air stone

I dont see where you have fluke symptoms such as rapid breathing. loss of appetite, scratching which was not mentioned.

Last edited:

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you treated it for anything?
Seeing as its 12 years old, i would be hesitant to do much of anything on it out of fear but you could try a freshwater bath and see if anything falls off the gill area.

It could be flukes. If so, i would get him comfortable in a quarantine tank and treat with general cure. I also like binding the GC with focus to the food so they get treated internally for parasites as well.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That red looks like hemorrhaging/bruising and often from vitamin deficiencies or bacterial but im also concerned about the gill are. What food are you feeding ?
What is current ammonia and Nitrate levels?

Recommendation is quarantining and treating with seachem Kanaplex or Neoplex and assuring both Good water quality and diet high in aminos. Monitor ammonia levels with a reliable test kit and increase oxygen with use of air stone
I had a 10+ year old clownfish that showed the same type of body coloration. I think it comes with age.

Similar to age spots humans are acustomed to.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had a 10+ year old clownfish that showed the same type of body coloration. I think it comes with age.

Similar to age spots humans are acustomed to.
I know a couple of persons with 15 year tangs and while fins raggy- This is not an old man disease, The red streaks common with yellow tangs often bacterial related and many times due to defiencies as their diet changes and also water quality. Mine are approaching age 6 and bright yellow. If internal would have a pinched in belly and no appetite and weird poop.
Im chiming Jay into this.
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
F

frano3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have an ammonia test kit but the NO3 is 0.25ppm. I can see the color of the bleeding/bruising every night, but it's completely yellow in the daylight.

I feed with algae flakes, JBL granules and frozen feed with artemia and cyclops. Tang currently eats a few artemia about once a week. But he hides from food rather than going after it. He lost weight, but he doesn't scratch.

And he has a small thin brown circle around his mouth. I was afraid to treat it with something, I only used garlic extract

thanks for advice

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe you said the fish is breathing quickly - which would suggest 'rapid breathing' - have you counted the respiratiosn? To me this looks like a diffuse disease of some type - whether flukes - infection or both. I would (and I usually don't suggest this) - treat with Prazipro and a compatible antibiotic that you can get your hands on. The gills look inflamed to me - open mouth can suggest flukes.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have an ammonia test kit but the NO3 is 0.25ppm. I can see the color of the bleeding/bruising every night, but it's completely yellow in the daylight.

I feed with algae flakes, JBL granules and frozen feed with artemia and cyclops. Tang currently eats a few artemia about once a week. But he hides from food rather than going after it. He lost weight, but he doesn't scratch.

And he has a small thin brown circle around his mouth. I was afraid to treat it with something, I only used garlic extract

thanks for advice
This is interesting - How old is the fish - younger fish can have this 'red' appearance at different times - morning/night. If it's normal at some point - I would discount it somewhat. I.e. would not put it at the top of the list to be concerned about.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - in the wild - tangs live to be 40 years +

OP
OP
F

frano3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang breath deep 80-100 per min. 12 years old.
I live in the European union and medicines mentioned above, are unavailable. Available is something as Esha or Rally. Or do you know something better in EU?

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back