Yellow tangs face turning red

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! My yellow tangs face is turning a reddish color. I had ick in my tank and I used a copper medication and it seemed to help tremendously! Still, the yellow tang has a hint of red on its face and my nitrates are perfect! What could it be?

OP
OP
B

bcournoyer5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, the ick is gone from all fish and all fish are back to normal, just the hint of red on the yellow tang that is still there

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you get a picture, by chance?
What process did you use for the administration of the copper medication? What medication, specifically?
How is the ammonia in the tank (red gills could be a sign of ammonia poisoning)?

ReeferNoob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently went through a red spotted yellow tang issue, I used metro/focus in the food for a couple weeks its all gone now. Best guess bacterial infection, but it was all over him tail, body, and face it was a bright red.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A picture would be great.

1. Ammonia could be an issue - how old is the tank, etc - have you checked it. (PS - ammonia in the shipping bag can also be an issue - how did you acclimate). Do the gills look red?
2. Could be a bacterial infection - and a hospital tank/antibiotic treatment might be in order - is it staying the same, getting better or worse?
3. It could be the age. I have seen this on younger tangs - where the face 'looks' red. But without a picture impossible to say. I'm assuming this is a young tang.
4. Nitrates would not be an issue - in fact 'low nitrates' may suggest an ammonia problem.

The good news is that he is eating/swimming, etc - Hope this helps!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture would be great.

1. Ammonia could be an issue - how old is the tank, etc - have you checked it. (PS - ammonia in the shipping bag can also be an issue - how did you acclimate). Do the gills look red?
2. Could be a bacterial infection - and a hospital tank/antibiotic treatment might be in order - is it staying the same, getting better or worse?
3. It could be the age. I have seen this on younger tangs - where the face 'looks' red. But without a picture impossible to say. I'm assuming this is a young tang.
4. Nitrates would not be an issue - in fact 'low nitrates' may suggest an ammonia problem.

The good news is that he is eating/swimming, etc - Hope this helps!
(Reviving 4 year old thread...??)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No clue what you mean??
OHHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHHAAH - no clue it showed up on my disease watchlist lol:). you're correct - it was from 2018. Probably a glitch at R2R. I actually looked at the old thread about red markings on biota tangs. Good catch thansk!!!1

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IN my defense - there was just another question about a young biota tang with a red face:):). No one is perfect

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 192 71.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 20 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back