Yellow Tangs: is this a problem?

byron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have 5 yellow tangs in our 465g DT. Several of them appear to be developing white area around their eyes which sort of appear to be descaling?? Please excuse the low quality, but theses 2 images were taken with an iPhone. This yellow tang appears to have the largest areas of white. Any of you know if this a particular malady or just somewhat normal. Note: these tangs were quite small when acquired and have tripled in size. They have all been in the tank now for around 15 months.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like Lateral Line Erosion (LLE). Check your system for stray voltage, some people claim carbon causes it but in my observation it is caused by voltage and current in the tank.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely HLLE. I've had tangs develop this in quarantine systems without carbon. If carbon is a cause at all, it isn't the only one. You'll get a lot of speculation but the truth is no one really knows what causes it, but it can been reversed.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some contributors have been mentioned already, but almost always it comes back to diet.

What are you feeding and how often?

darrendh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had issues like that earlier in my hobby when I was a single-food feeder, later I switched to a more varied died and didn't seem to have these issues anymore. I don't know if it will fix your current guys, but should help prevent it in the future.

OP
OP
byron

byron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some contributors have been mentioned already, but almost always it comes back to diet.

What are you feeding and how often?
I feed twice a day: In the morning: Thera+A, OC Formula One, Seaweed Extreme pellets -- in the evening: Thera+A & OC Forumla Two. On Sun & Wed, I'm now replacing Thera+A w/ Cyclopeze in the evening and in the mornings M, T, Th, Fr, Sa I put nori in the clip. This may sound like a lot of food, but it a small amount of each. (BTW, carriage return/enter is not giving me a linefeed so everything is staying on 1 line -- do I have some edit setting screwed up??) For fish, tank contains: 1 PB Tang, 5 YT, 7 Anthias, 5 BGC

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back