yellow tangs pricing

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this. If what I say is true and the hobby may shrink because less people will enter because of fish prices and if some leave because of the price of fish may have got to rich for them.
Will the demand on corals drop and the prices of coral come down?

Honestly I think this hurts the whole hobby including Forums, coral vendors, retailers, collectors, distributors, equipment manufacturers and the list goes on.

I think allot in the hobby also feel like well they will just come from elsewhere. Those places already have limits to.
Used to be bans happened one place a new place opened so people shrugged stuff off but now we are out of new places. Just like with live rock.

I think we hit the peak of the hobby now. Less diversity of fish and corals coming in some will lose interest.
Fish will have more diseases making it hard for some.
Well, lot to digest there. I think I largely agree with all of it.

Coral prices are interesting. If demand declines then prices should also. Except, how many hobbies-turned-businesses would remain interested of they could only get $25 for a frag rather than $100 (numbers just illustration)? May well be that we'd lose a lot of supply also. I've long felt that its just a matter of time before wild collected corals become verboten. Then, we rely on the hobbyists to propagate supply. Not as problematic as the fish thing because coral easily propagate in reef tanks .... well, mostly easily.

I find myself wondering if a smaller addressable market is necessarily a bad thing. Is discouraging the casual reefer that keeps a tank for a year, kills a bunch of fish and coral, then moves on a problem. Yet, smaller addressable markets has a knock-on affect. Equipment manufacturers (the really innovative ones, that is) sell less stuff, have less $$ for innovation and more go belly up. I know you've been around for a while, as have I, but I have no desire to go back to the days when a company like Tunze (as great as they are) was about the only skimmer game in town.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, lot to digest there. I think I largely agree with all of it.

Coral prices are interesting. If demand declines then prices should also. Except, how many hobbies-turned-businesses would remain interested of they could only get $25 for a frag rather than $100 (numbers just illustration)? May well be that we'd lose a lot of supply also. I've long felt that its just a matter of time before wild collected corals become verboten. Then, we rely on the hobbyists to propagate supply. Not as problematic as the fish thing because coral easily propagate in reef tanks .... well, mostly easily.

I find myself wondering if a smaller addressable market is necessarily a bad thing. Is discouraging the casual reefer that keeps a tank for a year, kills a bunch of fish and coral, then moves on a problem. Yet, smaller addressable markets has a knock-on affect. Equipment manufacturers (the really innovative ones, that is) sell less stuff, have less $$ for innovation and more go belly up. I know you've been around for a while, as have I, but I have no desire to go back to the days when a company like Tunze (as great as they are) was about the only skimmer game in town.

Honestly I agree 100 percent with everything you posted. This is a great post if not the best post I have read in a long time.

I knew you would bring up less coral vendors :p . What happens when no new corals come from the wild and all these collector corals now are the staple. With no new corals will people get bored. Will all those that call themselves collectors leave?
Honestly though I do not get why there is not more trading with the prices for corals. Trading corals used to be huge back in the day and I think it was getting to the point of hurting some retailers.
I miss when the hobby was smaller and I knew most everybody.
Will higher prices make people take better care of their animals? Good point.
Could it become a hobby for the rich so they do not care anyway.
Will the hobby become more about biology?
So many questions and only thing I know is the hobby is going to change going forward.
I firmly believe it will get smaller now.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about this. If what I say is true and the hobby may shrink because less people will enter because of fish prices and if some leave because of the price of fish may have got to rich for them.
Will the demand on corals drop and the prices of coral come down?

Honestly I think this hurts the whole hobby including Forums, coral vendors, retailers, collectors, distributors, equipment manufacturers and the list goes on.

I think allot in the hobby also feel like well they will just come from elsewhere. Those places already have limits to.
Used to be bans happened one place a new place opened so people shrugged stuff off but now we are out of new places. Just like with live rock.

I think we hit the peak of the hobby now. Less diversity of fish and corals coming in some will lose interest.
Fish will have more diseases making it hard for some.

I agree with this for the most part.

I noticed when I had my store less variety than I had ever seen. I am STILL trying to get some more springeri damsels after a year of trying for my home tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS got in maybe 8 Kole Tangs today. $100 each, not that bad for a fish that won't be available.

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sold my 4" yellow tang a couple weeks ago for $35 because it wouldn't play nice with my copperband. Really miss it, but now wondering if they will ever be affordable again if I wanted to try a smaller one.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I certainly think they Yellow tangs, and Purple Tangs are the most beautiful and flashy of the Zebrasoma. I would prefer these two over any of the other of the Zebrosoma in my tank.
As of this week, this is the most expensive fish in my tank.
Anybody with clear pictures of tank bred Yellow tangs? I want to see how they compair with my wild caught Yellow tang that I have. I got this guy from the time his body without the tail was the size of a quarter.
47c93c6c-0381-4b34-bf4a-a9aeff5471a1-jpeg.1999327

0a32f344-360e-44c8-ae33-bf1b12dee1d2-jpeg.1999328
That's a beauty @OrionN nice colouration, and nice and fat. Well done. Roughly how old and what size tank? This is mine, 16 years and in a 90 gallon entire time. He is boss.
20210127_224729.jpg

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s always gonna be someone who overpays that’s just it so long as that happens prices are gonna be what they are no matter what

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there’s always gonna be someone who overpays that’s just it so long as that happens prices are gonna be what they are no matter what
Exactly, just like the ones that pay $50 for a half cup of cheato... there always some idiot and lately plenty of them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Last week, yellows were $69.99
As of today, there are None available

here is current store pricing in my region :

BRISTLETOOTH - TWO SPOTTANG$69.99
CLOWN LINEATUSTANG$89.99
GEMTANG$599.99
HEPATUSTANG49.99/$69
NASOTANG$89.99
ORANGE SHOULDERTANG$49.99
POWDER BROWNTANG$39.99
PURPLE-(RED SEA)TANG$169.99
SAILFINTANG$39.99
SAILFIN DESJARDINITANG$99.99
UNICORNTANG$89.99
WHITE TAIL BRISTLETOOTHTANG$169.99

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CLOWN LINEATUSTANG$89.99
GEMTANG$599.99
HEPATUSTANG49.99/$69
NASOTANG$89.99
POWDER BROWNTANG$39.99
SAILFINTANG$39.99
UNICORNTANG$89.99
As of today... also Kole: 99.99 :)

Which should technically be more rare than yellow since no captive bred option.

Oh and a Lavender at 49.99

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

CLOWN LINEATUSTANG$89.99
GEMTANG$599.99
HEPATUSTANG49.99/$69
NASOTANG$89.99
POWDER BROWNTANG$39.99
SAILFINTANG$39.99
UNICORNTANG$89.99
What store?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

CLOWN LINEATUSTANG$89.99
GEMTANG$599.99
HEPATUSTANG49.99/$69
NASOTANG$89.99
POWDER BROWNTANG$39.99
SAILFINTANG$39.99
UNICORNTANG$89.99
An Orange Shoulder at 49.99 is a value imo....beautiful fish, that is a bit of a challenge but nothing over the top from what I understand....

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 53 77.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.9%
Back