yellow tangs pricing

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Too late!! My LFS has a Small-Medium sized one for $165
I think a bit of an increase in price is to be expected. I feel like 200 average makes sense considering the scarcity and that that's what the biota ones are selling for. it might even push towards captive bread tangs becoming more common in the hobby.

After that, the $400 yellow tangs is just people being opportunistic with a terrible situation. The price will go down when things become more readily available. And the ban is most likely not forever.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a bit of an increase in price is to be expected. I feel like 200 average makes sense considering the scarcity and that that's what the biota ones are selling for. it might even push towards captive bread tangs becoming more common in the hobby.

After that, the $400 yellow tangs is just people being opportunistic with a terrible situation. The price will go down when things become more readily available. And the ban is most likely not forever.

I am sure some people will still pay $400 for wild caught yellow tangs as some view the wild caught as better specimens.

Steph72

Tang Mom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree. People are panicking right now and businesses will take advantage of that. I don’t mind paying more for something if the cost is justified, but there’s definitely some price gauging right now. I’m just going to be patient and wait.

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure some people will still pay $400 for wild caught yellow tangs as some view the wild caught as better specimens.
Assuming that one can tell the differences between wild-caught vs captive-bred, aside from what the seller says.

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree. People are panicking right now and businesses will take advantage of that. I don’t mind paying more for something if the cost is justified, but there’s definitely some price gauging right now. I’m just going to be patient and wait.
No one is panicking about fish.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming that one can tell the differences between wild-caught vs captive-bred, aside from what the seller says.

Some feel their are noticeable differences due to genetic defects and HLLE. I can’t say I have not seen them side by side in person as my LFS only carries ORA.

Well I did see some biota tangs when they first came out and the fins were all messed up but seems they corrected that.

I don’t think the price increase is a huge deal. People way way more for frags of coral that can grown by a hobbiest. I never understood why fish had such low value tbh.

Last edited:

newbie2014

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some feel their are noticeable differences due to genetic defects and HLLE. I can’t say I have not seen them side by side in person as my LFS only carries ORA.

Well I did see some biota tangs when they first came out and the fins were all messed up but seems they corrected that.

I don’t think the price increase is a huge deal. People way way more for frags of coral that can grown by a hobbiest. I never understood why fish had such low value tbh.
I sure can't tell the differences. But I'm just a noob.:)

I bought mine from local Petco about 18 months ago for $34 (during 20% off sale). I just wanted to have a yellow fish for my tank, after my royal gramma died. But I set price limits on any live stocks I buy. My small-piece-of-the-ocean at home doesn't have to look like someone else's, who live next door to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure can't tell the differences. But I'm just a noob.:)

I bought mine from local Petco about 18 months ago for $34 (during 20% off sale). I just wanted to have a yellow fish for my tank, after my royal gramma died. But I set price limits on any live stocks I buy. My small-piece-of-the-ocean at home doesn't have to look like someone else's, who live next door to the Great Barrier Reef in Australia.

My comment about fish being too low value is that collectors/divers do not get paid nearly enough and that some people in this hobby treat cheap fish like throw away fish.

Joe's 220 Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Online retailer has a wild yellow tank price list of $449 and Captive Bred for $199. Although gauging such as this is not fair, hopefully this will accelerate the captive breeding programs to move away from wild caught at some point.

ReefRusty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after paying a visit to my LFS today they mentioned they have a handful of yellow tangs in QT. When asked the price I was thinking maybe a few hundered dollars as they were $200 2months ago. Now he told me there only gone up a little and are now $1300AUD insane lucky I dont want one

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard some go as high as $1500 in Australia! That’s insane!

I have seethem as high as $500 here in the states.

but can still get them for $150-$180 if you look around. I found two places last week locally here in Los Angeles - one place selling for $180 and another for $150. Those were the best priced places I found. Most are selling for about $250 locally.

Hopefully as captive breeding catches up to demand the price should settle around $125 ish, but probably a few years away. At lease that’s my guesstimate.

but with the ban, and the idea that the hobby will be without has made the demand go thru the roof. As long as people will pay the asking price they will continue to sell for these amounts. And it may get worse before it gets better unfortunately.

cheelayqeelay

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Hawaiian tonight at my LFS for $150...

I don't know if this was stupid or smart, but, that baby looked a little more pretty in the eyes since the ban.

rocklobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like when Indo got shut down and the $50 torches turned into $1000 overnight. Then all of the sudden Aussie torches went to $1000. Like Australia wasn’t even shut down. They’re doing the same thing with all of the tangs right now. Just wait, it’s not the first time Hawaii shut down exports.

CPreciado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm interested if anyone has truly done a side by side comparison to see what the differences are between wild-caught vs captive bred...

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Aussie gold torches are basically seasonal in our hobby. I don't know the logistics but the price usually fluctuates by season.

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like when Indo got shut down and the $50 torches turned into $1000 overnight. Then all of the sudden Aussie torches went to $1000. Like Australia wasn’t even shut down. They’re doing the same thing with all of the tangs right now. Just wait, it’s not the first time Hawaii shut down exports.
If we are comparing to Euphyllia prices the future doesn’t look too promising.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next up is people adding names to yellow tangs with blemishes and selling for $1500. Coral prices are way more rediculous than a supply and demand issue for tangs imo.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 85.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.4%
Back