Yellow tangs

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont count em all out springers and azures are really friendly and do good pest control, i hate all other damsels with a couple exceptions (starki etc)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably never to be honest. They place they come from, Hawaii, has banned all collection of fish for aquarium trade. Really the only way people can get them is through captive breeding, and I only know of one facility that captive breeds them. And captive breeding tangs is not easy so they will most likely stay expensive.
Actually, yellow tangs also come from Indonesia. My LFS has a good sized Indo YT (3”) and it’s for around £200. They don’t JUST come from Hawaii and CB, although if I remember correctly the Indo Yellows only come from one place that’s rather far out and rarely collected from.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for us the indo yellow tang prices may be even higher due to further shipment costs
That’s most likely the other reason they’re rarely found around there and when they are they go through Asia then Europe and then America. So by the time it hits American markets most of the “rare” fish have been taken by people with deep pockets already.

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just got ours yesterday from algae barn. It was supposed to be delivered tomorrow but came yesterday. Bought a 1-1.5” fish and got a 3 inch. Was pale yesterday but today full of color. Super skittish but in all honestly for $200 shipped I would order another one from algae barn if we had the room. Super super pleased with them.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a biota yellow tang $150 shipped, it was the size of a half dollar but has quickly grown in a couple of weeks, pale still but definitely getting more yellow

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back