Yellow watchman goby eye injury. Need advice

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed this today it wasn't there yesterday. I tried to get a better picture but couldn't get him to turn the other way. He is eating and acting completely normal. I tried to Google it and now I don't know if it is flukes, popeye or just an injury. Any help would be appreciated.

20240516_181459.jpg 20240516_183959.jpg 20240516_183936.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is likely an injury - and observation is an option. If it's worsening it could be treated in a hospital tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic - was the fish quarantined with copper and prazipro? What other fish are in there, any other fish with symptoms, etc your parameters?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just noticed this today it wasn't there yesterday. I tried to get a better picture but couldn't get him to turn the other way. He is eating and acting completely normal. I tried to Google it and now I don't know if it is flukes, popeye or just an injury. Any help would be appreciated.

20240516_181459.jpg 20240516_183959.jpg 20240516_183936.jpg
If cloudy or foggy, go right to treatment using maracyn as shown below in a separate quarantine tank with added aeration. I often dont recommend sitting it out as it can lead to retina issue

1715902630332.png

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is likely an injury - and observation is an option. If it's worsening it could be treated in a hospital tank with a broad spectrum antibiotic - was the fish quarantined with copper and prazipro? What other fish are in there, any other fish with symptoms, etc your parameters?
He has been in the tank for about two years. There are currently no other fish in the tank. I already had to rehome my two clownfish because they started bullying him. They have been in a separate tank since Christmas though. Only new additions are three peppermint shrimp and a couple of emerald crabs. They have been there for a month or so.

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If cloudy or foggy, go right to treatment using maracyn as shown below in a separate quarantine tank with added aeration. I often dont recommend sitting it out as it can lead to retina issue

1715902630332.png
It is really hard to tell what is wrong with it. I just know it doesn't look like the other eye. What could have caused it? He has been in the tank almost two years and has been the only fish since Christmas. I haven't added anything except three peppermint shrimp and two emerald crabs about a month ago.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is really hard to tell what is wrong with it. I just know it doesn't look like the other eye. What could have caused it? He has been in the tank almost two years and has been the only fish since Christmas. I haven't added anything except three peppermint shrimp and two emerald crabs about a month ago.
As @MnFish1 indicated- likely mechanical injury as these guys dart quickly into cave structures and spook easily

OP
OP
P

Pudgeshambley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @MnFish1 indicated- likely mechanical injury as these guys dart quickly into cave structures and spook easily
Thanks for replying. Will a mechanical injury heal on its own? And if it's foggy or cloudy tomorrow I should definitely medicate? Can I treat him in the display tank or will the medication affect corals and invertebrates? The lights on the tank went out for the evening and he retired to his cave so I haven't been able to observe him more to determine if it is cloudy or not.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for replying. Will a mechanical injury heal on its own? And if it's foggy or cloudy tomorrow I should definitely medicate? Can I treat him in the display tank or will the medication affect corals and invertebrates? The lights on the tank went out for the evening and he retired to his cave so I haven't been able to observe him more to determine if it is cloudy or not.
It may o may not and it will heal or worsen Why I recommended the Maracyn

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can either treat prophylactically (i.e. now) - or you can wait for worsening. I would considerANY change (except improvement) as a reason to do treatment if you decide not to do prophylactically. Many times if it is an injury - it will heal on its own. Antibiotics in a hospital tank is also a very low risk treatment.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
With Ruby Rally pro - You can treat in display. It just takes a little longer

Back