Yellow watchman goby swimming at the top of tank for days

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this goby about a week ago now an he’s been constantly swimming at the top of the tank. He does take a break and go on the sand bed sometimes but 89% of the time he’s at the top of the tank swimming. I assumed maybe he just has to get used to the tank but it’s almost been a week and he’s not getting any better. And worst of all just 15 minutes ago I noticed he was laying on top of my jet stuck! I tried to whoosh him off but he didn’t budge I basically had to roll him off and then he just floated away with the current. He then started to swim again so I thought he was fine. and then he went straight into the jet again!!! Thankfully he blew away fast enough but still. I’m not sure if he’s hurt or not he’s swimming but he has his tail curled a lot now. I have him in a little quarantine tank now. Any advice?

OP
OP
michaelabellz

michaelabellz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Just fed him and he calmed down.

Ejostling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really hard time keeping yellow watchmen alive. One of the first signs of trouble was swimming to the top. One time I did an emergency water chemistry test and discovered an unexpected ammonia spike. He was telling me something!!! In my experience they are sensitive little guys and unfortunately for me I can't keep one. Have a much larger hopefully heartier pink spotted goby with my pistol shrimp . Working out pretty good so far

bmac300

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a pistol shrimp for him would be my advice. Mine did the same thing when i first got him. He would stay at the top of the tank and get stuck by my overflow and I found him in the sump a few times. I thought he died but a few months later i noticed him in the second compartment of my sump. I wanted to get a pistol shrimp when i bought him but wasn't able to find one locally. Finally got one and once they met they bonded immediately and they hang out in their caves all the time. Might not work for you but best thing for mine was a pistol shrimp buddy.

PanchoG

The Force will be with you. Always.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do have a cover? This little guys tend to jump, he may be bullied by other fish when going to the substrate, shifting your aquascape a little may help.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back