Yellow Wrasse Confusion...

IMAN93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I'm looking to add a "yellow" wrasse to my tank. I really like the the "yellow and purple wrasse" seen here: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2113/?pcatid=2113 . My only issue is, there are too many names that I see these wrasse called. Are they all the same when it comes to Yellow Coris / Yellow Wrasse / Banana / Canary / Yellow and Purple? I'm confused.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at Latin names. The popular yellow "coris" is Halichoeres chrysus. The one pictured is H. luecoxanthus. It is a very close cousin. Both are perfect fish. Stay away from most other yellow wrasse species, especially in the Thallasoma genus.

tundraguy1106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I'm looking to add a "yellow" wrasse to my tank. I really like the the "yellow and purple wrasse" seen here: https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/2113/?pcatid=2113 . My only issue is, there are too many names that I see these wrasse called. Are they all the same when it comes to Yellow Coris / Yellow Wrasse / Banana / Canary / Yellow and Purple? I'm confused.
Go with the Yellow Coris. Reef safe and great for pests. I have one in my tank. Make sure you have a sand bed since that’s where they sleep.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been one of evolved's pet peeves for years. What is often called "yellow coris" is not a coris wrasse at all. There are coris wrasses like Coris formosa and Coris gaimard. What people insist on calling yellow coris is in the Halichoeres family not the Coris family.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back