Yellow Wrasse In Trouble --Overnight

nostalgiaforinfinity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Yellow Wrasse introduced to tank 6 days ago. Has been doing fine. Eating with when others eat every day except one. Getting along with tank mates.
3 anomalies during the six days:
1. Tiny bump on at base of caudal fin which went away in a day. We thought it was a scrape or stress.
2. Slept through breakfast one morning on day 3. Was up and it like normal later that day.
3. Two days ago saw him "gulp" a few time and mouth was maybe open more than usual. This also was gone same day.

Now it's on its side, pumping gills rapidly. Doesn't look good.
I can't get a video because it's under a ledge in a shadow.

Red Sea G2 200

42 g display// 52 g system

23"L x 22" W x 21"H

Temp: 80.3

PH: 7.5

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

Phosphate: .03

Salinity: 1.24-5

Light Schedule: 1 hour ramp up to: 50% White // 50% blue for 7 hours: 1 hour ramp down.

Livestock:

Inverts:

(2) CUC Conches

(5) Turbo Snails

(1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

(2) Zoas Frags

Verts:

(2) Pajama Cardinals

(1) Red-Line Wrasse Halichoeres Biocelattus

(1) Canary Wrasse Halichoeres Chrysus

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi,
Yellow Wrasse introduced to tank 6 days ago. Has been doing fine. Eating with when others eat every day except one. Getting along with tank mates.
3 anomalies during the six days:
1. Tiny bump on at base of caudal fin which went away in a day. We thought it was a scrape or stress.
2. Slept through breakfast one morning on day 3. Was up and it like normal later that day.
3. Two days ago saw him "gulp" a few time and mouth was maybe open more than usual. This also was gone same day.

Now it's on its side, pumping gills rapidly. Doesn't look good.
I can't get a video because it's under a ledge in a shadow.

Red Sea G2 200

42 g display// 52 g system

23"L x 22" W x 21"H

Temp: 80.3

PH: 7.5

Nitrite: 0ppm

Nitrate: 5ppm

Ammonia: 0ppm

Phosphate: .03

Salinity: 1.24-5

Light Schedule: 1 hour ramp up to: 50% White // 50% blue for 7 hours: 1 hour ramp down.

Livestock:

Inverts:

(2) CUC Conches

(5) Turbo Snails

(1) Skunk Cleaner Shrimp

(2) Zoas Frags

Verts:

(2) Pajama Cardinals

(1) Red-Line Wrasse Halichoeres Biocelattus

(1) Canary Wrasse Halichoeres Chrysus
Can be gill flukes or flukes in general as well as drop in oxygen but to be assess, please post a you tube video under white light intensity.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vid. Link to Video here. Hard to get a clear shot of the fish.

Sorry, that's just not clear enough to see. I did see the larger wrasse swim by - how long have you had that fish? It isn't showing any symptoms?

The pH is a bit low, that can sometimes indicate high carbon dioxide levels/low oxygen. Be sure that tank has good aeration.

The yellow wrasse may have a gill disease (flukes or velvet). Does it have any current red spots on it? This species is prone to Uronema when first acquired.

Jay

OP
OP
nostalgiaforinfinity

nostalgiaforinfinity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, that's just not clear enough to see. I did see the larger wrasse swim by - how long have you had that fish? It isn't showing any symptoms?

The pH is a bit low, that can sometimes indicate high carbon dioxide levels/low oxygen. Be sure that tank has good aeration.

The yellow wrasse may have a gill disease (flukes or velvet). Does it have any current red spots on it? This species is prone to Uronema when first acquired.

Jay
Hi,
So I do see a red lesion on it's side. That would have happened in the last 36 hours. I did not see this fish after work yesterday.
The H. biocellatus is doing fine as well as the 2 Pajama Cardinals.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
So I do see a red lesion on it's side. That would have happened in the last 36 hours. I did not see this fish after work yesterday.
The H. biocellatus is doing fine as well as the 2 Pajama Cardinals.

I just posted on your other thread - this does look like Uronema to me, sorry.

OP
OP
nostalgiaforinfinity

nostalgiaforinfinity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Should we euthanize this wrasse?
Sorry about the posts in both locations. We are worried and a bit discouraged too. Hoping to help this guy.

Should we bring this up to the LFS? I'm not sure of etiquette re: asking for refund or reporting they have sick fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you. Should we euthanize this wrasse?
Sorry about the posts in both locations. We are worried and a bit discouraged too. Hoping to help this guy.

Should we bring this up to the LFS? I'm not sure of etiquette re: asking for refund or reporting they have sick fish.
See first if other fish at LFS are sick but the video is hard to see due to blue light with heavy light shimmer. Fish appears a little thin and you can add ruby rally pro if you have it on hand but cant clearly tell what it has

Last edited:
Back