Yellow Coris Wrasse with a Silver Belly Wrasse?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered a yellow Cori’s wrasse for my mixed reef 50gal and the supplier sent me 2 because they usually don’t travel well (according to them).

It appears that one is a yellow Cori’s wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus) and the other is a silver belly wrasse (Halichoeres leucoxanthus).

It’s a 50gal tank that’s 4 years old so it’s well established. Other tank mates are 2 clowns, 3 Pajama cardinals, and a Royal gramma. Mixed reef.

Can I keep them together? Would one work better in my tank (and bring other to my LFS)?

I’d love to keep both but wanted to get some other thoughts who would know better

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They might actually both be yellow Coris wrasse

Is it possible to tell if one is male and other female? Both full yellow bodies (no silver stomach) but one has 3 dots on its dorsal fin like this

1710955010735.jpeg

And the other has only one above its head like this
1710955040159.jpeg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might actually both be yellow Coris wrasse

Is it possible to tell if one is male and other female? Both full yellow bodies (no silver stomach) but one has 3 dots on its dorsal fin like this

1710955010735.jpeg

And the other has only one above its head like this
1710955040159.jpeg
Top is female bottom is male and yes they are both Halichoeres chrysus aka a yellow wrasse and will not coexist in a smaller tank in the long run.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Top is female bottom is male and yes they are both Halichoeres chrysus aka a yellow wrasse and will not coexist in a smaller tank in the long run.
Okay, thanks for the heads up. I guess I’ll bring one to my LFS. Is there one that would be better in my setup? Or is one prettier than another fully grown?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, thanks for the heads up. I guess I’ll bring one to my LFS. Is there one that would be better in my setup? Or is one prettier than another fully grown?
The female will live longer but will eventually become male. It’s up to you. They are both yellow it’s just the female will lose the eyespots as it grows.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get them?

It's possible that they sent an extra in case one died in transit.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where did you get them?

It's possible that they sent an extra in case one died in transit.
Dr. reefs QT fish

That’s why they sent 2, I asked them. I’d hate for me to get rid of one (bring to LFS) and them have the one I kept die in another day or 2 from shipping stress.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They likely will be fine. I have seen H. chrysus live in harem I fairly small tank without problem. Just make sure they have enough feeding. Hungry wrasse will get agressive.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not agressive to con specific when they are juvenile or female. Harem or pair in our aquarium is fine. The problem is if you don’t keep the male in healthy shape he will not be able to court and this keep the female suppressed so she won’t change sex. You will get into problem in a small tank like your’s if you have two males.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They are not agressive to con specific when they are juvenile or female. Harem or pair in our aquarium is fine. The problem is if you don’t keep the male in healthy shape he will not be able to court and this keep the female suppressed so she won’t change sex. You will get into problem in a small tank like your’s if you have two males.
So it seems like one is male and the other is female, based on their markings and size (one is a little bigger) - in theory I could keep both together?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back