Yellow Coris Wrasse Compatibility

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious to hear your opinions on this one.

I have a 60 gallon lightly stocked reef tank (60 gallon long) that is about a year and three months old. I would like a yellow coris wrasse to deal with any potential coral flatworm pests that I may face in the future.

However, there is a well settled and nearly mature Carpenter’s Flasher Wrasse in the tank already. I have seen that they are normally okay together, but this same flasher wrasse managed to kill a Royal Gramma as the wrasse was maturing. The wrasse was also introduced after the Royal Gramma. I am not sure if this spike in aggression was due to him maturing. He doesn’t bother any of my other fish (four Green Chromis and two Oscillaris Clowns).

Additionally, I will be picking up a Green Mandarin, which will be set with the boat loads of pods I have. I have a small refugium too. I am also a bit concerned that the yellow coris wrasse would out compete the mandarin for food. I am going to try to get the mandarin on frozen, but we will see.

Opinions on this situation? I can go without a pest eating wrasse, but it’d be nice to have that layer of protection.

mues

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my 150. They were introduced at the same time though. He was still a little bit aggressive at that time in a tank as large as mine. No issues now though. Not really sure what adding after you have him established would look like. I'd probably be somewhat concerned.

edit: the aggressor being the flasher

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine though that fish is a yellow wrasse as there is no such thing as a yellow “coris” wrasse.
There may be a pod population issue with a wild mandarin but I have 10 wrasse and two (captive bred) mandarins. I would suggest adding phytoplankton though to increase pod population.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine though that fish is a yellow wrasse as there is no such thing as a yellow “coris” wrasse.
There may be a pod population issue with a wild mandarin but I have 10 wrasse and two (captive bred) mandarins. I would suggest adding phytoplankton though to increase pod population.

I know there isn’t one called a “Coris,” but I know that a lot of people know it as such, so I called it that.

The yellow coris wrasse would likely outcompete a mandarin for pods at that tank size, but the flasher wrasse would be fine. I'd make sure you had a tight fitting lid though in case of some light chasing as both fish can jump

I never have a tank without a lid! But I am worried about that too. I suppose I can make that call based on what I can get the mandarin to eat.

I have both in my 150. They were introduced at the same time though. He was still a little bit aggressive at that time in a tank as large as mine. No issues now though. Not really sure what adding after you have him established would look like. I'd probably be somewhat concerned.

edit: the aggressor being the flasher

This is what I’m worried about too. Not sure how they would handle it, especially because they are a similar shape.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there isn’t one called a “Coris,” but I know that a lot of people know it as such, so I called it that.

I never have a tank without a lid! But I am worried about that too. I suppose I can make that call based on what I can get the mandarin to eat.

This is what I’m worried about too. Not sure how they would handle it, especially because they are a similar shape.
There are generally no issues mixing flasher wrasse and Halichoeres wrasse. Especially with a more peaceful Halichoeres like a yellow.

Honestly the only possible issue I see is the pod question. But I think you should have enough.

OP
OP
T

Trenton Henderson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are generally no issues mixing flasher wrasse and Halichoeres wrasse. Especially with a more peaceful Halichoeres like a yellow.

Honestly the only possible issue I see is the pod question. But I think you should have enough.

I think I might try and get the mandarin on frozen and pods so that if it becomes an issue, it won’t be a big issue.

I do periodically dose phyto at night to boost the population. If it gets bad enough down the road, I was thinking about farming my own pods.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back