Yellowhead jawfish in QT, appetite mininal

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed a juvenile Yellowhead QT on 4/8. Two rounds Prazi. Copperpower to just under 2.0 after Prazi for 18 days now. He's eaten well most of this time, with periods of more and less appetite. I've change foods a few times which triggered an eating response.

For the past 4-5 days or so, he's barely eaten at all it seems, no matter what food I try. I see no sign of illness, he's seems fine otherwise.

I put a container of silica sand in the tank on day 1, but he's had no interest in that.

Is this sort of loss of appetite expected after 18 day in copper? Should I be concerned?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed a juvenile Yellowhead QT on 4/8. Two rounds Prazi. Copperpower to just under 2.0 after Prazi for 18 days now. He's eaten well most of this time, with periods of more and less appetite. I've change foods a few times which triggered an eating response.

For the past 4-5 days or so, he's barely eaten at all it seems, no matter what food I try. I see no sign of illness, he's seems fine otherwise.

I put a container of silica sand in the tank on day 1, but he's had no interest in that.

Is this sort of loss of appetite expected after 18 day in copper? Should I be concerned?

It can happen. At this point you can actually transfer him into a clean, sterile QT without copper and just observe for 2 weeks. Get him eating again. Be sure the new QT is 10 feet from the other and that you only transfer the fish to it, nothing else.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kit, so its difficult to tell the exact level of copper. I dosed 1.15 ml per gallon, just under the 1.18 ml Hotrocks stated is 2.0 for Copperpower.

I have approx 14.2 Gallons of water in QT tank. I suppose I can take some water out and dilute copper level with fresh salt water. I'm thinking 20% water exchange will get me close to 1.5. I don't want it to drop below 1.5, correct?

Please advise.

I don't have another QT tank set up per Mel's suggestion, so that wont work. My newish display tank would be the only option

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a 10% WC and see if that helps with his appetite. For some fish, it's just a matter of finding their tolerance threshold.

10% it is. If no appetite recovery, then what, another 10%?

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed out 1.5G of copper dosed tank water with fresh salt water first thing this morning to dilute the copper level.

No eating yet. No interest at all

I did notice one small black dot near his tail
IMG_0089.JPG
l

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with the owner of a well respected LFS. He told me that him being in QT since 4/8 without being able to set up a burrow, etc, for this long, may be the cause of him stopping to eat.

He suggested I put him in the display tank at this point and let him do his business?

I'm a noob so I don't know what to do?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke with the owner of a well respected LFS. He told me that him being in QT since 4/8 without being able to set up a burrow, etc, for this long, may be the cause of him stopping to eat.

He suggested I put him in the display tank at this point and let him do his business?

I'm a noob so I don't know what to do?

Before I would put him in the DT, I would add sand to his QT.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I put about 2-3"s of proper jawfish sand in about a 1/8 sectoin in one corner of the QT tank surrounded with PVC

Should I just keep the copper level where it is at therapeutic level (minus absorbtion, whatever that is?) or should I just use poly filter, get rid of the copper, and try to feed and observe copper free at this point?

I tried to feed again just prior to doing this and he had no interest at all.

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I put about 2-3"s of proper jawfish sand in about a 1/8 sectoin in one corner of the QT tank surrounded with PVC

Should I just keep the copper level where it is at therapeutic level (minus absorbtion, whatever that is?) or should I just use poly filter, get rid of the copper, and try to feed and observe copper free at this point?

I tried to feed again just prior to doing this and he had no interest at all.

Can you transfer him into an observation tank? 18 days worth of copper is enough IF he can be transferred into another QT.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you transfer him into an observation tank? 18 days worth of copper is enough IF he can be transferred into another QT.

I don't have another QT set up, its now been 20 days at therapeutic levels. I've got another empty invert QT almost cycled but not quite cycled. but its not 10 feet away from the other

Still no eating.

Can I just remove copper with poly filter and observe?

I never saw any evidence of disease with the guy since April 8, and he was at LFS for almost 4 weeks prior to that

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just checked nitrites in the empty intended invert QT tank. Its new, never had any animals in it. I had dosed ammonia to 2.o on 5/6. It took about 4-5 days to get ammonia to zero. I just checked nitrites and they are at 0, with 0 ammonia. I'm concerned in might not be full cycled. Its only about 4 feet away the coper dosed QT with the jawfish.

Should I transfer? I can take down the nearby copper dosed tank after tranfer

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand it's not ideal. I'll move one asap.

What's your best reccommendation at this point ?

I really appreciate your time

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand it's not ideal. I'll move one asap.

What's your best reccommendation at this point ?

I really appreciate your time

I would put him in a bucket, quickly break down the QT so it's no longer a factor, and then transfer him into your invert QT.

But you can't place any corals/inverts in there until after he goes into the DT.

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put him in a bucket, quickly break down the QT so it's no longer a factor, and then transfer him into your invert QT.

But you can't place any corals/inverts in there until after he goes into the DT.

OK, thank you sir

OP
OP
J

joec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Transfer complete to new copper free QT for observation. Prior copper laden QT broken down and removed . He's a little stressed of course.

I'm concerned about the tank being barely cycled but he's so small. Hopefully it's ok.

This stuff is stressful.
IMG_0093.JPG

Back