Yellowtail Wrasse (Anampses meleagrides) - reef/invert safe?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Hi everyone,

I saw one of these that ate frozen at a LFS, and I really wanted to get it, but I didn’t because both the store owner and one of the store staff members said they’re not reef safe. I think they said they’ll eat inverts? I read on LiveAquaria that they are reef safe, and it didn’t say anything about them eating inverts the way they warn of that with fish like Halichoeres. Is the yellowtail wrasse reef and invert safe? Or will this fish eat inverts?

Thanks for your help.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah they're considered reef safe allright :) Fun fish to have in your tank, very pretty to look at too- and also does a useful job eating common pests such as flatworms, bristleworms, and nudibranchs. Good utilitarian fish!

I have however seen reports previously on R2R that these fish can be incredibly sensitive and can be hard to succeed with though. There's a number of posts around on the subject :)

I have never owned one- I do have a mate who's keeping one in his 135 gallon reef tank on year 2 with no reported issues.

Tank mates?

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yeah they're considered reef safe allright :) Fun fish to have in your tank, very pretty to look at too- and also does a useful job eating common pests such as flatworms, bristleworms, and nudibranchs. Good utilitarian fish!

I have however seen reports previously on R2R that these fish can be incredibly sensitive and can be hard to succeed with though. There's a number of posts around on the subject :)

I have never owned one- I do have a mate who's keeping one in his 135 gallon reef tank on year 2 with no reported issues.

Tank mates?
Do you know if your friend keeps shrimp/crab/hermit/fan worm with the yellowtail wrasse?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very sensitive and reef safe at smaller size. However they may eat shrimp at a larger size if you can succeed with one. Most people fail with tamarin wrasse. However mine is doing well.
IMG_3120.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back