yes I know I am asking another LED question

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to read up on LED lighting. As most of you know I purchased the pro/advanced hood for my 28 gallon JBJ. I am finding many people posting saying it is too strong. Reports of bleaching out corals and such. I found much info saying corals were dying due to UV radiation from the lights. I then read LEDs do not produce UV light.. I am getting to much conflicting information. The light I have has, for the main lighting part, 5 sets of five LEDs. the second and forth do not work. Each panel is set up so that if one LED goes out the entire panel goes out. I would like to replace the LEDs in the 2 panels that are not working with other colors such as ultra violet, actinic, ect. Does anyone know what might be a good combination to put in place of the ones I am changing? Is 25 3 watt LEDs too much for a 28 gallon JBJ?

Wildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What color/ wave length are the less you have now? There are all kinds of information and options here.
You only get UV with true UV LEDs.
You can swap colors only if the are the same nm rating or higher. If the LEDs are the same rating you can swap with royal blue or violet it will give you a more actinic look and lower the amount of light in your tank.

OP
OP
G

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello well it has 3 watt Bridgelux white 134 K LEDs in it. There are 5 panel of 5 LEDs each I want to replace 2 sets of five with the best combination of colors. Any input of which colors might give me the best overall results would be appreciated. Since I also have the intermediate hood on another tank with 25 X 1 watt LEDs and it seem to be doing well at 25 watts I am sure the pro hood will be fine with 15 X 3 watt 14 K white LEDs and the 10 color LEDs I add. I will have 45 watts of 14 K and then the blues I add.

What color/ wave length are the less you have now? There are all kinds of information and options here.
You only get UV with true UV LEDs.
You can swap colors only if the are the same nm rating or higher. If the LEDs are the same rating you can swap with royal blue or violet it will give you a more actinic look and lower the amount of light in your tank.

Wildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was supposed to say you can swap if they are the same mA.

Do you have a link to more specs on the hood?

Wildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I tried to do some research on the hood. I couldn't get the user manual for it or any more detail than you gave. I can't even find bridgelux leds in 14K. Most whites are way warmer than this. Are the leds on star boards? If so you can find royal blue leds to replace these pretty easily. I would still want to know what mA your drivers are pushing these before I traded tem out.

Wildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is what I was afraid of. Looking at the generic photos online it didn't look like they would be star boards attached to a heat sink.

Cee, would it be possible to remove an entire row and replace it with strip LEDs?

OP
OP
G

gwhook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob has the same light and had someone replace some of the LEDs

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can replace individual LEDs but won't get the same lifetime out of them if they're not properly mounted. In that design I doubt they'll last all that long anyways because if I remember correctly from Rob's there's no heat sink. You can mount them with epoxy but you'll have to make sure to remove all the solder first. They're not easy to remove and you'll damage them when extracting them.

UV and Royal blues don't make less light; our eyes just aren't as sensitive to the blue spectrum as they are to say green. I'd go one red, 2 greens, 3-4 violets and the rest a combination of cool whites and royal blues that suit your fancy on a normal LED fixture. The problem you'll have is with only 25 bulbs to work with this ratio isn't going to really work out very well for you. So I'd stick with RB and CW and perhaps toss in a UV or 2.

25 bulbs is not too much. They run at about 2 W if I remember correctly or 65%. I'm currently running 75 or so over my 60 cube at near full power (2 W) but you do have to acclimate to those levels.

Wildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cee, I know technically as long as they are rated the same it is the same amount of light but kinda like our eyes don't the coral use/ absorb less of the blue light making the fixture "less intense" ? I could be totally misunderstanding though.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know about the absorption of different wavelengths by corals but 470 nm (your blues) penetrates the shallowest in the ocean so not much would reach a coral. I think like 1% of the spectrum on the surface is present at about 20 m or something like that.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wildman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also looks like they are in strips and only one driver for all the whites. I am not an electrician so I am not sure what you would run into wiring in individual LEDs with the strips. I also wonder if there is enough room for individuals to fit the same holes in the reflector.

cee

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also looks like they are in strips and only one driver for all the whites. I am not an electrician so I am not sure what you would run into wiring in individual LEDs with the strips. I also wonder if there is enough room for individuals to fit the same holes in the reflector.
It can be done.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back